Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 03:37 AM

Default Re: 5handed 50-100

i like 3betting bc i prefer to win when the flop comes ak3.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:17 PM

You gotta 3 bet preflop. If you had you wouldn't have posted this hand, it would be much more straight forward.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
preflop is must 3bet

[/ QUOTE ]

why are ppl sayin stuff liek this? its ridiculous. this game is super aggro, and just calling in BB with a wide range of hands is defenitely something u need to be mixing into ur game. I strongly prefer smooth calling preflop and CRing the majority of flops with 88 here a lot of the time. I guess it has to do with style choice, but i think u should never always be 3 betting 88 here in this game. anybody have thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have some thoughts. Don't know if they are right. But here is my reasoning. Either 3 betting preflop or calling and check raising the flop the opponent gets better than 7 to 1 to call. If he has two overs in a heads up pot, with position, and a paired board, he'll probably call. But if you just call preflop and bet out on the flop he is getting only 5 to 1 and the call is much less profitable. And he'll often put you on a steal and raise you on the flop where you get even more value.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
preflop is must 3bet

[/ QUOTE ]

why are ppl sayin stuff liek this? its ridiculous. this game is super aggro, and just calling in BB with a wide range of hands is defenitely something u need to be mixing into ur game. I strongly prefer smooth calling preflop and CRing the majority of flops with 88 here a lot of the time. I guess it has to do with style choice, but i think u should never always be 3 betting 88 here in this game. anybody have thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have some thoughts. Don't know if they are right. But here is my reasoning. Either 3 betting preflop or calling and check raising the flop the opponent gets better than 7 to 1 to call. If he has two overs in a heads up pot, with position, and a paired board, he'll probably call. But if you just call preflop and bet out on the flop he is getting only 5 to 1 and the call is much less profitable. And he'll often put you on a steal and raise you on the flop where you get even more value.

[/ QUOTE ]

so does it make it an easy fold if i 3 bet preflop and he raises this turn? can he still not be semibluffing?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
preflop is must 3bet

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so does it make it an easy fold if i 3 bet preflop and he raises this turn? can he still not be semibluffing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless this was like a heads up or 3 handed game, I'd fold. Calling down with 88 against two overcards against an opponent showing this strength has got to be a money loser. Plus, it would make no sense to call the turn unless you planned to call the river unimproved. That's investing two more big bets. Essentially you're getting 4 to 1 for the chance that he's bluffing. If he has a jack you're drawing dead.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:16 PM

that is is silly fixed logic. i agree maybe preflop 3 betting is better. but the point is, if I did, and he raised this turn, how much wouild it make the hand easier to play, if at all? does it lessen the chance he has a semi bluff? Id say prob not by that much, but it does lessen the chance hes on a total bluff, or AQ type hand (hed rather call down with that imo).

lets say i 3bet preflop, he calls flop, raises turn.. who folds who calls?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that is is silly fixed logic. i agree maybe preflop 3 betting is better. but the point is, if I did, and he raised this turn, how much wouild it make the hand easier to play, if at all? does it lessen the chance he has a semi bluff? Id say prob not by that much, but it does lessen the chance hes on a total bluff, or AQ type hand (hed rather call down with that imo).

lets say i 3bet preflop, he calls flop, raises turn.. who folds who calls?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, maybe not. Some people are more apt to bluff at big pots, some at small ones. They figure the chance it will work and the payoff they will get if it does.

It should be easier, and more likely, that he will bluff if you do not three bet preflop both because you have shown less strength and because you have less incentive to call with the somewhat smaller pot. But many players are still more apt to attempt bluffs when the payoff is bigger. I don't know this guy. I do know that you have a rather weak hand to be considering calling a raise on the turn.

That's just my take. I'm sure there are valid arguments the other way.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:01 PM

bottom line is you play like a girl dog....NO chance in hell I muck that turn after all them draws hit. U said dude was aggresive so u gotta call my man down. I dont have a problem with with smooth call preflop but u gotta recogize most people 3bet anything playable so he definitly thinks he can move u there
Old 03-26-2007, 11:33 PM

First off, yes you should 3-bet this preflop. You identified villian as somewhat loose/bad and he's raising in the CO. He's get a very large range here, and you're ahead of most of it. 3-betting allows you to win more high flops w/o showdown and helps you get more bets in on low flops.

I think you need to call this down when the turn's raised either way though given the texture of the board, especially since the paired board is so attractive to bluff at.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:31 AM

You have to take control of the hand preflop. Smooth calling can be mixed in to vary your play, (like double check raising here sometimes too), although I wouldn't advise doing either on the regular.

This is a perfect card for an astute opponent to bluff at. He may even check behind in position on the river.

I would 3 bet preflop and probably STILL call down based on your description of the opponent and the texture of the board. Also very relevant is how the game as a whole has been played and what you have been doing specifically. All need to be taken into account obviously, so my answer can't be correct.

Am I putting to many chips in this pot by 3 betting and calling down a bricked river??? Very possible...