Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Computer certifications

Get MS Access cert/experience. you will learn the basics of SQL and if you actually do understand relational databases, the access cred along with some knowledge should be enough to get over any hurdles in an entry level job.

I have found that actual knowledge goes a lot further than certs do. I haven't ever had a cert, and also haven't ever been in a position where my employer or potential employer said "well, if you had cert x, we could promote you/hire you."

Just listen to Joe. Knowing is half the battle!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:10 PM

An entry level job that wants SQL experience.

Sounds like asking someone to know how a combustion engine works before they know how to turn the car on.

Like another poster said, get Access experience/certs. It utilizes a basic SQL query-like language to do operations in VBA. If this isn't entry-level enough, then these people have no idea what "entry level" should actually mean, imo.

Any employer who bases employment off of the number of certs a person claims will probably quickly find out that it meant jack. While this isn't always true, it tends to be that way.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An entry level job that wants SQL experience.

Sounds like asking someone to know how a combustion engine works before they know how to turn the car on.

Like another poster said, get Access experience/certs. It utilizes a basic SQL query-like language to do operations in VBA. If this isn't entry-level enough, then these people have no idea what "entry level" should actually mean, imo.

Any employer who bases employment off of the number of certs a person claims will probably quickly find out that it meant jack. While this isn't always true, it tends to be that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been saying essentially the same thing for a while now. Just remember this isn't a matter of requirement- I'm just tired of people looking at me like a leper when I say I don't have much experience using certain pieces of software. None of these folks require certification, but they almost all tout "experience utilizing relational databases" or "writing SQL queries" as preferred in their job descriptions.

In the end I'm at the mercy of known quantities, people with some experience, and hot women, who appear to get hired at will. I asked about the SQL certification not to get my foot in the door (it already is), but because when next I'm asked about my experience with this stuff I want to be able to whip out my junk and slap somebody in the face with it. Perhaps then, after distinguishing myself so far beyond the rest of the competition, I can get beyond my lack of paid experience.

Advice to focus on MS Access sounds good. Any book recommendations?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:15 PM

Anything by O'Reilly. Are you familiar with relational databases and SQL? I still can't tell whether you A. know it but don't know how to prove it, or B. don't know it and want to fake it, or C. you simply don't know it and want to learn.

If A. just put SQL on your resume as part of your known languages, if B. good luck, and if C., get familiar with access.

www.safaribooksonline.com is a great site to have awesome access to tons of books, but you have to utilize it to make it worth it, and not mind reading books off a website.
If
Old 03-21-2007, 12:40 PM

I'm not familiar with SQL or relationsal datases at all really- I definitely fall under the C category. While a certification might not go a long way in the IT field, it'll show a good deal of initiative and familiarity in mine.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:41 PM

Have you tried online tutorials, such as this one?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:15 PM

SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL

There is a companion book about databases, which you don't really need.

Getting a cert just for SQL is moronic. Sounds like a line.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:04 PM

yes, brainbench is ghetto and i've received spam from brainbench before.

there are many free resources online. The best way to learn is to work your own sql projects and this counts as experience.

impress em by telling them you do sql "for fun" and show them your projects :]

let me know how it goes and goodluck
Old 03-22-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SQL Queries for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Data Manipulation in SQL

There is a companion book about databases, which you don't really need.

Getting a cert just for SQL is moronic. Sounds like a line.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, yeah whats more funny is theres people who have certifications on using Dreamweaver
Old 04-06-2007, 03:42 AM

You need to learn the nature of relational databases, then later learn SQL (the language).

I don't know if you learn best by attending a class or just following some self-study stuff, but if you can find something about MS Access, that is a great way to learn relational databases.

Then you can move on to MS SQL Server or whatever you want.