Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: New NL50 Video

After reading around about file sizes, it might be a good idea to try the flash format. It's a smaller size and you only need a browser and a plugin to view it. (no need to scramble for codecs) VLC player will work too.

http://www.camstudio.org/ <<--This is a video recording program and can convert files to flash files as well. It's also open source, which means it's free.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:21 PM

I liked the video. I don't think you can say you ran bad, you won so many pots where you pushed flush draws and got there. I agree that a tonne of people were playing back at you though.

I think you're a bit too tight from the SB when there is a limper or 2. I normally play AXs or other SCs because it's so cheap. You do have to be careful though because you are OOP for the rest of the hand, which was obviously your reason for letting them go.

A few hands that I remember are where when you had AhQh (I can't find what time this happened at) and someone in EP raises to $1.75, there was a caller and you folded on the button. I'd probably call there.

At 59:20 you had 55 and raised it up, then someone with a $20 stack 3-bet to $4, even though you're OOP and the odds aren't as favourable as you'd like, I think you have to call it for metagame reasons. People will start taking too many shots if you are folding to pretty much a min raise after opening a pot. Also, you're still getting 3-1 from the pot and his stack is still 8 times the call.

You were checking a lot of flops that you hit when you were OOP even though you opened the pot, KJ flop Kxxr for example. I think you definitely need to bet almost every time you hit anything as strong as top pair, or people start to figure out that when you check, you probably have a hand, but often fire a c-bet with lesser hands. It also stops people picking up profitable backdoor draws and you paying them off (I think in the KJ example he made a backdoor flush but you lost the minimum).

Also, don't even consider folding the 2nd nut flush like when you got coolered near the end. That would be criminal.

Thanks again for the vid.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:39 PM

I haven't seen the video yet, but I can't help commenting on these comments on general principles

[ QUOTE ]

I think you're a bit too tight from the SB when there is a limper or 2. I normally play AXs or other SCs because it's so cheap. You do have to be careful though because you are OOP for the rest of the hand, which was obviously your reason for letting them go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonsense, there is no such thing as too tight from the SB .... actually it is just a case of personal preference, but I'm with jonny here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

A few hands that I remember are where when you had AhQh (I can't find what time this happened at) and someone in EP raises to $1.75, there was a caller and you folded on the button. I'd probably call there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on who ep is, if it is a meganit, then sure, but my default here lately is to 3bet.

[ QUOTE ]

At 59:20 you had 55 and raised it up, then someone with a $20 stack 3-bet to $4, even though you're OOP and the odds aren't as favourable as you'd like, I think you have to call it for metagame reasons. People will start taking too many shots if you are folding to pretty much a min raise after opening a pot. Also, you're still getting 3-1 from the pot and his stack is still 8 times the call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call with a small pair for metagame reasons ??? Nah, there is nothing wrong with people pushing you, it ensures action on your big hands and you can just play poker. 55 on the other hand can't hit anything other than a set, but being OOP chances are that should you hit your set (1 to 7 shot) you wont be able to extract (and 8-1 gives you too little). This is never a call situation, it is a 3bet or fold situation.

I hope I find time to see the video soon ... and sorry if you wanted to answer this yourself jonny, I couldn't help myself [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2007, 11:08 PM

Nice video. How are you able to play 4-tables at UB? Do you have a bigger monitor or is there a program you use to condense the tables?
Old 03-17-2007, 11:35 PM

Thanks for commenting Gelford, looks like I've still got a lot to learn!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on who ep is, if it is a meganit, then sure, but my default here lately is to 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that 3-betting will sometimes win the pot, but isn't it a situation where you really don't want to be called?

It seems that it kind of turns your hand into a bluff, because (assuming opponents are decent) all worse hands fold, but all better hands call, so you're left either winning the minimum or playing a huge pot with a marginal holding against a likely better hand.

The reason I liked a call was it lets you play a raised pot in position with a disguised hand. In this case you can win the maximum or lose the minimum depending on whether you hit or not.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, thats like what, 5 mins to download on any decent connection?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a "decent" connection and it takes longer then 5min, actually a lot longer.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:55 AM

The 55 hand....-EV is -EV. I don't plan on playing with that clown very often, so there's no metagame. Metagame only matters against regulars! If it were a bigger PP, say 88 or 99, I would call and see a flop.

The AQs, you'd hafta remind me what time in the video that was. I'll be watching my video again soon. So I'll post my thought process when I see the hand. I'm gonna go ahead and guess it involved a tight player or a shortstack, thus eliminating my FE and implied odds.

Completing the SB: Limped pots=hard to make money, plain and simple.

You'll hear me in the video repeat how good I was running until the last two big hands!
Old 03-18-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good video. I noticed that your HUD had the stats labeled, like "VP 34". Is that a mod? I haven't seen the option to see the label in table layout.

Also, how do you use the SD stat? I don't think I heard you mention it at all in the video.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Making the letters show up is very easy. Under the layout manager, type in whatever letters u want in the "Format" box.

You're right, I really don't use the showdown stat. It's really more useful when you have a big sample on a player and they're either a nit or a calling station. This will become more helpful at higher stakes as I come across more regulars. The stat itself is more of an indication of how far villains are willing to take their hands. If a TAG regular has a low SD% and a high aggression, well then they're likely turning many of their hands into bluffs. Low SD% and low aggression would be nitty and you could push a person like that around.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:55 AM

Great video really enjoyed it. I lol'd at the beats at the end though, I think we have all had runs like that. One time I spent the whole night building a stack and lost it all to a 2 outer on the river.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:36 PM

This video was awesome. It's exactly how I used to play and feel when getting played back at. I've watched your other two stars 50nl videos and you seemed to do better at stars. Are your results better on stars? Are you still playing at ub?

I don't think you did anything too terribly wrong, except there were 2 or 3 flops I would have bet out at instead of checking.