Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Best Hi Hand on Flop - Home game

Well it's going in on the flop, so you don't have to deal with being out of position at least, but it's still a fold. It's a definite fold against sane opponents, but even if you knew one guy had a lower set with no low draw, and the other had nut low + nut flush draw, you're still looking at only 1/3 equity in the pot. Even against clueless gamblers I think it's a losing play to get your money in the middle here, because you're more likely to be up against a some kind of middle wrap.

And like everyone has said already, fold preflop. This is one of the best flops you will hit and you still have to fold it.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:10 PM

Yeah, I ran some numbers and it turns out that my initial intuition was off - even if opponents are playing pretty similar hands (say, A236 and A345 suited in diamonds) your equity is still less than 33%. For a call to be correct you would need no one to be holding a diamond flush draw, which seems very unlikely. I can even find opponent hand combinations that drop your equity below 20% (pair the board or die, pretty much).
Old 03-17-2007, 12:52 PM

Addressing the flop is not much harder than the PF call. You fold and sleep very easy.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:36 PM

yeah, pf is bad i know... as i will hit my set on a low board very often. this is homegame, so half of the fun is just seeing flops. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

anyway, was berated for the fold by my peers, but still think its correct. i haven't been confronted with these situations very much, so yeah, will be folding this hand in the future even if flops are fun.

would you call PF if you held, say, 2c 6c 9d 9h??
Old 03-17-2007, 04:55 PM

Ask yourself, how am i going to scoop with this hand? How do my cards work together? your low is terrible and your pair is not going to be highest set unless there is a low on board, and your then playing for 1/2 the pot on a 2 flush board against people that may be rolling you with a lock low with anything like a straight/flush combo draw.

Your OOP, 8's and 9's are the hands you LEAST want to see in your hand preflop. 2c 6c 9d 9h is just as bad as 2c 6c 8d 8h.

I appreciate its a homegame and you want to see a lot of flops, but these are exactly the sorts of tough decisions you get when you play with that kind of trash preflop.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ask yourself, how am i going to scoop with this hand? How do my cards work together? your low is terrible and your pair is not going to be highest set unless there is a low on board, and your then playing for 1/2 the pot on a 2 flush board against people that may be rolling you with a lock low with anything like a straight/flush combo draw.

Your OOP, 8's and 9's are the hands you LEAST want to see in your hand preflop. 2c 6c 9d 9h is just as bad as 2c 6c 8d 8h.

I appreciate its a homegame and you want to see a lot of flops, but these are exactly the sorts of tough decisions you get when you play with that kind of trash preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty. anyone have a link to a good PF starting guide for OH/8?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:08 PM

4 get ya'll.

Don't call preflop but you did so call. you're probably up against a flush draw at best for high and two people have A3 or 345. with those odds I'd do it.

Then again I'm confused. I don't like home games.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:35 PM

terrible odds tho, im playing for half the pot
Old 03-17-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ty. anyone have a link to a good PF starting guide for OH/8?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.o8poker.com/

If I'm not mistaken, Gergery put this together? Good stuff.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus, he's asking about the FLOP. Saying the preflop call is bad and not addressing the flop is a copout, and its not what he's asking about. Pretend he was in the BB and got a free look if its too hard for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lolz, the amount of times you get a free look with trash in the BB and flop the nut hi PALES IN COMPARISON to the amount of times an inexperienced player will limp or call raises with trash and be totally lost on the flop.

Believe me, everybody understands your point of pretending, but it's a moot point. You should avoid these situations altogether. I'd even go as far as to say if you're multitabling and do get this hand in the BB, just click autofold and don't even look back.