Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Rail Bird hand from 1k/2k horse game. Deli meat thin 7th st VB

[ QUOTE ]

Wow that's a lot of squirming just to avoid saying that Doyle did something that seems wrong to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I stakes short handed poker is played differently. Sometimes someone will call a raise with a weaker hand with the idea of stealing the pot later if he doesn't catch something.

When they used to allow Americans and observer chat on Party, late in the big weekend tournaments, there would be all these railbirds talking about how every steal, resteal, squeeze play, bluff, semibluff, float, short stack push, and pot odds call was an idiotic play.

I really think there is another explanation than you could play it better than Brunson.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:04 PM

First, this looks like it could be Stud-8 rather than Stud to me, and since OP doesn't say, I'll make some comments on the case that that it is.

If this is FT, the hole cards were sorted prior to showdown. This leaves open another odd possibility for Doyle's hand. Doyle could have defended with a razz low (26)7 and taken the free one when he bricked on 4th.

On Fifth, Doyle has the best low draw, and if he suspects a steal, he may even believe he is ahead with King-high. If all that is true, he rivered his pair, which figures to beat the pair of Eights or whatever BC started with. Thin bet, but not ridiculous given that it is short-handed.

Of all this, I think Third street is the most intriguing of the possibilities raised by the hole-card sorting. Why would Doyle chase his money with a bare three-card Seven?

If he wouldn't, then then this isn't a reasonable scenario, and I apologize for being bad at poker.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:59 PM

I apologize for the lack of details.

This was 4 handed and it IS Stud 8
Old 03-17-2007, 06:03 PM

havent read any replies yet, but the river bet looks incredibly standard to me. doyle is drawing to a 7 low while the villain is drawing to an 8. villain cant raise an 8 low on the river. so, if villain raises the river its because he has a pair of 9s beat. when doyle bets the river it looks like he made his 7 low so its likely hell get called by a pair smaller than 7s. basically, bet/folding the river is more sensible than check/calling.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I apologize for the lack of details.

This was 4 handed and it IS Stud 8

[/ QUOTE ]
Doyle definately started with 267. He didn't bet the pair of 9s on 4th street, because he didn't have a pair of 9s.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:44 PM

Where did I ever say I would play it bettter than Brunson?

I simply wanted to know whether the 3rd street play seemed incorrect to other people, as it did to me.

In your slavish need to uphold Doyle's honor you somehow misconstrue this as hubris.

If you had said 'no, that's standard 3rd street', I would have appreciated the info. I post here because I am trying to get better at stud games.

As it happens I think the latest poster is correct and this was probably stud 8, assuming that makes a 3 card low possible for doyle on 3rd. (Can't remember the hand at the moment.)
Old 03-17-2007, 07:52 PM

Yeh, it was stud8, as I asked initially, and FT lists hole cards high to low.

Yeh, you were right the play didn't make sense with the hole cards as listed for stud high, but it was also pretty much impossible Doyle would make a basic error, so there had to be more to it.