Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Taking shots at higher limits

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding B & M,
If your playing a correct limit for you, 40 bb should last you a 7 hr session of running crappy, busting 40 bb at a 3/6 table means your running very poor, or the table is very bad,

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the variance in B&M games, even up to 20-40, 40 BBs is nothing. There's less variance in tighter/aggressive full games.

I do agree that he should move up to 4-8 as fast as possible. Live 3-6 is training wheels.

[ QUOTE ]
I buy in for 25bb, and I have a 90% session win ratio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most winning players I know only have around a 50-60% session win ratio. One was in the 40%. Do you just get up a little bit and then leave quickly?

OP: I used to buy in for 25BBs. Then as I got used to playing longer sessions, and digging out of holes and then ignoring where I am at during a session, I will go in for 50-60BBs now. Kinda that pain tolerance thing.

But as someone mentioned in another response, use your normal number of BBs buy in when moving up. You'll want to feel as comfortable as possible and minimize having the new limit(monetary value) creep into your thinking.

b
Old 03-16-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I buy in for 25bb, and I have a 90% session win ratio.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh... this is crazy. i'm like 50% winrate at the b&m i play at. the variance is huge at tables with 7-8 players to the flop and monster pots. at $3/6 i've lost a couple racks like nothin. also walked away up 5 racks after just a couple hours.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2 times still isnt a profitable ratio unless you tried it exactly 2 times. And yea i have done it, 2 times, over a 3 year span, and 5 other times have rebought after a slide. I learned that switching tables or coming back the next day is a far better profitability decsion than sticking it out and rebuying, there is genreally a reason your loosing if your 40 bb deep.

2 times over how many potential times = ratio of profitability on your decsion...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're playing well, you're looking at it in the wrong way. Profitability has nothing to do with actually how much you may be down(or up) in a session. If you're playing well, and the game is good, why come back the next day? Even more-so, if the game is good, why would you switch tables? The next hand is the next hand regardless of when you play it. The next days game may not be as good.

Again, 40BBs is nothing. It's not a good indication that you're doing anything wrong. Though you should be monitoring your play regardless. That's like saying because you're up 40BB in 3 hours you must be playing expertly.

b
Old 03-16-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your playing well, you wont ever be behind 400bb, that is precisely my point, make a change...

[/ QUOTE ]

His point is, if you're playing well, you could still easily be 40BBs behind.

400BB? Although unlikely, it is still possible.

b
Old 03-16-2007, 03:05 PM

i'm curious now... what are ppl's winrates at b&m lhe?
Old 03-16-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always buy in for min. 25 BBs but I always have more $ on me to top off. It's not that I have a hard time getting the buy in together just wondering what amounts some of you like to take shots with. A 40 BB buy in at lHE sounds a bit high to me but everyone has a certain amount they like I guess. Something to be said for having a larger stack in front of you as far as a bit on intimidation goes

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally: Take a shot when you have a full buy in, bet-wise, for the next limit.

However, taking a shot with 1/2(25BBs) isn't necesarily a bad idea. You will likely learn something on that session. I did when I took a shot like that when moving from 4-8 to 10-20(quite a jump back then). It may even make your normal level seem a bit easier.

But I definitely wouldn't take a shot shortstacked. That could hinder you getting a feel for the higher level.

b
Old 03-16-2007, 03:06 PM

(not that it matters)
Old 03-16-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm curious now... what are ppl's winrates at b&m lhe?

[/ QUOTE ]

This clueless noob is at 0.4BB/hr over 300+ hours or so at B&M 2/4; exactly 50% session win ratio (although just recently attained thanks to a recent hot streak). 90% seems pretty God-like to me.

30BB downswings within longish session (7-10 hours) doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but I am a clueless noob; I had that within my last session and still ended up with my best session ever overall (up 67.25BB).

Buying in for more than 25BB at my B&M 2/4 table would get you a lot of odd looks and raised eyebrows.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:58 PM

No one wins 90% of their sessions. That's insane.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:19 PM

I have no problems buying in for 20BBs. Just don't ever allow yourself to drop to a point you'll run out in a big hand. That's a disaster and I see it all the time. ("All in always wins.")

Some of the responses in this thread have me shaking my head in wonder.