Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Bankroll swings... and misses.

"also u probably arent'y getting bad beat like crazy"

oh, if only...
Old 03-15-2007, 05:11 PM

Yeah, it takes your ROI into account because you enter your % finishes in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and the payout for each.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:23 PM

I'm sure that you suffered a long streak of bad luck, but like most swings you probably over compensated and have developed a few different strategy's that aren't working. My advice is look at a few tourny histories from when you were doing well and compare them to now, I bet you'll notice some key, if subtle, differences.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would post hands. Almost every time a player has a really bad swing its their play behind it. You always get beats, and sure sometimes you get way more, but you can have devestating swings if you start to pick up bad habits that you don't notice. Clearly you were doing well for a while, so its likely you changed your play slightly or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing it might be is that I got better at reading players so I was playing slightly more hands where I was 58-42, say, instead of folding those and waiting for the big hands where I'd be 75-25 or 80-20 or whatever. Maybe with a limited chip count, the value of folding those small advantages and waiting for a bigger % difference outweighs the fact that I'm throwing away the best hand.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:25 PM

That could be a problem, its not always good to take every slightly favorable situation if you can easily find better spots. Just because it is 52-48 in your favor doesn't mean you should be taking it.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:32 PM

Thanks, I'll do that. I'm sure you're right. I know I've played mid-pocket pairs too aggressively preflop and too stubbornly post, but I attributed that to tilt.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:35 PM

i consider myself to be one of the best players at the current game and buy in on the site im playing (lol vagueaments)in. In this game and my previous game, i have had 50 buy in downswings in under 1500 hundred game samples. it blows but its not uncommon. expect these to occur, ive had 2 in 2 months and I know other much, much better and more accomplished players that have had as severe downswings at similar and higher buy ins (40-200 buy in ranges for most of them).

long and short, yes, they happen
Old 03-15-2007, 05:39 PM

True it may happen to even the best players, but just assuming losses are due to bad beats and unlucky swings is never a good thing to do.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
True it may happen to even the best players, but just assuming losses are due to bad beats and unlucky swings is never a good thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. ive played some of the worst poker of my life over certain downswings, always try and stay on top of your game in every way, even if it means playing a bit less, during a downswing (player dependent obv).
Old 03-15-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i consider myself to be one of the best players at the current game and buy in on the site im playing (lol vagueaments)in. In this game and my previous game, i have had 50 buy in downswings in under 1500 hundred game samples. it blows but its not uncommon. expect these to occur, ive had 2 in 2 months and I know other much, much better and more accomplished players that have had as severe downswings at similar and higher buy ins (40-200 buy in ranges for most of them).

long and short, yes, they happen

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea how much I appreciate that post AMT. Not that I want you to run bad but since I'm in a similiar downswing it feels good to know it happens to the best.