Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Fat stack, middle pocket pair, late stage

I'd fold too. Not because of the original raiser, but because of my position. Pushing is not an option for me. There are too many player left behind me. Re-raising would also make it too expensive. I want to call for set value, but usually in these late stages a raise can trigger all-ins and I'm not prepared to face off with 2 players with medium pair.

Would this be whimpy?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:06 AM

agree.

i donīt think we see shortstacks openraise then fold enough from utg+1. and as jarid said even a loose range from utg+1 is not very good for us, although then villain might fold part of it.

one thought though, if we were in bb and this same action before us? or if villain pushes?

When we are at these shortstack tables i resort back to finding good callranges for their inevitables pushes/betcalls and if they let me, i steal cheaply.
this said i know ive isopushed profitably in similar situations with 88 but then against more desperate(shorter) villains and with more information due to betsize etc. so i guess its not an obvious fold
Old 03-15-2007, 07:28 AM

whimpy i dont know but i belive its wrong in several ways.

at this stage pp have "no" set value since stacks are too short for having the proper odds for it. further an push or raise here will most often shutdown the rest of the table unless they find a monster.

my only concern here is utg+1 bet/call, bet/fold ranges and i fold because i got no info on it. And cause a default utg+1 range is probably not very kind too my hand
Old 03-15-2007, 07:59 AM

this is actually just an easy call

only 7 players left and you dominate the other stacks
if you think this is is the best hand your gonna get then you raise (dont call - will give to good odds for others)

if you think you can take this down to HU without playing this hand then you just fold
Old 03-15-2007, 08:19 AM

stick it in most 20/180 players still open too light and fold too tight with 15bbs.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:23 AM

Let's say this guy is a typical 180 player and his opening range here could be as wide as any two braodway, any ace and any pair. His push calling range is significantly narrower but perhaps as wide as AJ+, 66+, KQs. If push calling ranges behind are AQ+, 99+, then I'd suggest that pushing is +EV. I think calling is an option, but not a good one without a read. There is not set value so we're calling in the hope that villain can bet/fold or check/fold OOP on a lot of boards.

However, my main interest here is whether taking down the 2200 pot uncontested sometimes, or getting lucky and stacking anyone who calls, is worth risking perhaps up to 2/3 of our stack at this stage.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:30 AM

If you are soo worried about the big stacks behind you, though you shouldn't that much the times they wakeup with a monster, than just repop PF to 3k and commit yourself to PFR button and BB.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:04 AM

I generally fold this for the reasons that kurt mentions. You have to look at the frequency with which he calls and the equity you have against that range, not against your equity versus his raising range.

If Shaun is right that he'll raise/fold a lot more often than I assume, then a small reraise makes sense, but you definitely want room to get away if a non-short stack shoves.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:25 AM

I like a call.

I think the only thing we're really concerned with is a squeeze from SB. I don't see CO trying to squeeze in this spot, so if he pushes I think he has a real hand and we can safely fold. BB can be pushing with a wide range here and I probably call regardless of whether original raiser comes along for the ride or not.

Call, fold to CO or SB push but call anything else.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:28 AM

calling is the worst option hell minreraising better than calling.