Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Playing professionally and unemployment

My apologies as I'm sure this has been covered, but my weak search attempts have gone unfulfilled. Also not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes...

A series of events led to me deciding to take a shot at playing for a living (we can debate the wisdom of that decision another time [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). While I have been making a fair amount (around $20/hour average over a couple months playing daily) it's not really enough to pay the bills and I've continued to collect unemployment.

Frankly I don't feel comfortable yet saying I'm a pro (not sure when that moment of clarity hits, but I know it hasn't for me yet) but at the same time I'm wondering if I make my way at this at what point should I stop collecting? Furthermore, say I eventually get a living wage out of this and make $100,000 this year; I have a good chance of being audited (so I'm told) and I fear reprisals from the state assuming the IRS tells them about my income these past months. Finally, even if I don't get audited, how will this pan out come tax time? I've kept good records of my wins/losses/expenses, but since I show a profit could the state say I am guilty of fraud since they could argue I'm self-employed?

I'm in Wisconsin BTW - I assume that's relevant. Thanks to any and all helpful insights.