Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Things you thing its ridiculous people dont know/assume everyone k

[ QUOTE ]
That there are several players in the NBA with more skill than Jordan had in his prime, and that Larry Bird wouldn't start for any team nowadays. I hate it when people refuse to aknowledge that professional sports, basketball in particular, are waaaaay harder than they were even 15 years ago.

I guess it wouldn't bother me if some chick or guy who didn't watch sports didn't notice this, but when legitimate NBA fans don't it bothers me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This definitely is not what I am talking about, this is an opinion and arguable point. I'm talking about straight facts or knowledge that you take for granted that some (>20%?) don't know.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:00 PM

I'm pretty amazed at the percentage of OOT that doesn't know that they speak Arabic in Iraq. wtf Farsi?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:12 PM

I would say of the three things you mentioned, not knowing Jerry Rice would be the least surprising.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:16 PM

That poker is a game of skill
Old 03-13-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Things you thing its ridiculous people dont know/assume everyone knows

Was in Alaska for spring break.

Our snowmobile guide was quite insistent that Mt Mckinley(previously Mt Denali) is the 2nd highest in the world. This was confirmed by maybe 6 other people in the snowmobile hangout where we ate lunch. Only one or two other people agreed with me.

I decided its what Alaskans tell themselves to boost their ego.

Ive read far far more literature then most on mountains and outdoor adventure but this just seems so absurd that people could believe this.

He was aware how tall Mckinley is and about how tall Everest is. ~20k ft and ~29k ft respectivly and just couldnt be conviced that there were at least a few in between.

For those that dont know the second highest is K2.

Not sure where Mckinley actually falls but it doesnt even touch the top 100 by ~3000 ft.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:26 PM

multiple times in life I have run across people in the food service industry (waiters, short order cooks, etc) who thought that butter and margarine were the same thing. I'm suprised when anyone doesn't know the difference, but a waiter?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Things you thing its ridiculous people dont know/assume everyone knows

[ QUOTE ]

Our snowmobile guide was quite insistent that Mt Mckinley(previously Mt Denali) is the 2nd highest in the world. This was confirmed by maybe 6 other people in the snowmobile hangout where we ate lunch. Only one or two other people agreed with me.

Ive read far far more literature then most on mountains and outdoor adventure but this just seems so absurd that people could believe this.

He was aware how tall Mckinley is and about how tall Everest is. ~20k ft and ~29k ft respectivly and just couldnt be conviced that there were at least a few in between.

Not sure where Mckinley actually falls but it doesnt even touch the top 100 by ~3000 ft.

[/ QUOTE ]

mnt, I'm pretty sure McKinley is upper 20's isn't it? I know there are other mountains taller than it aside from Everest though. I remember looking around the 3d version of Google earth and seeing mountains adjacent to Everest that were very tall.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I'm so embarrassingly ignorant about geography, I couldn't even have told you where Mckinley was. But the fact that they were so freaking wrong (100+ mountains off) and yet where so sure is pretty astonishing.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:36 PM

My dad doesn't know what a cell is in biology.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That there are several players in the NBA with more skill than Jordan had in his prime, and that Larry Bird wouldn't start for any team nowadays. I hate it when people refuse to aknowledge that professional sports, basketball in particular, are waaaaay harder than they were even 15 years ago.

I guess it wouldn't bother me if some chick or guy who didn't watch sports didn't notice this, but when legitimate NBA fans don't it bothers me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm Watch much basketball today? Those two would mop up todays players.