Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Was it \"bad\" etiquette to repop PF? Tournament situation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldnt throwing out a 500 and 100 chip be deemed a call unless he says raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
If he verbally stated "call", my interpretation of the rules is that the chips he accidentally does or doesn't put out are irrelevent. He must fix the amount to a call.

However, it seems he didn't say anything so the chips speak. If he had thrown out a single 500 chip without saying anything, then that is a clear call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, yea I take that back. I was thinking of the case where he throws out a single 500 chip
Old 03-13-2007, 03:17 PM

I've had exactly that happen and I did exactly what you did. I didn't ask for the accidental chips to be left in, but since that was the result I had to play my hand and there's no way I'm letting a flop come off cheaply when I'm holding AA. OP did fine.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:33 PM

The only bad etiquette was your opponent dropping the f-bomb and then calling you a name.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:08 PM

At first I was on the fence, but ultimately I think you are good here. The main reason is that he could have done that on purpose. Even if he didn't, that's what the rule is in place for, and like it or not you simply have to play by the rules. It's too bad if your club touches the sand in a bunker when you play golf, but that's the way the game goes.

I once played in a $1/2 game where a guy slid out a $25 chip. Everyone at the table knew this tighty had AA or KK, but unfortunately for him it was just a call. He couldn't understand it, since he had single dollar chips, but the rule is the rule. I limped with 76 (might have anyway, but would not have folded any 2 cards at that point.) I flopped an open ended straight in a 4 way pot and he checked. (??!!) The turn completed my straight and he made a big bet and I went all in. To his credit he folded (and showed his cards), but he was mighty pissed about the whole episode.

I can hardly be blamed for calling there, eh? I mean even if I had 72 and won with 2 pair?
Old 03-13-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At first I was on the fence, but ultimately I think you are good here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see what there is to be on the fence about. The other guy made a mistake, it's done with. Now you have options and you'd be a fool to pick anything other than most advantageous of your options.

I have a lot of empathy and sympathy for other people. I would probably feel a bit bad taking advantage of the guy's mistake if I believed it was a mistake, but I am not giving him a cheap chance to outflop my premium hand just because he made a boo-boo. In this case, I would take pleasure in screwing the guy out of his flop because he's clearly an [censored].

SpaceAce
Old 03-13-2007, 07:35 PM

It's not wrong because you don't know for sure that he isn't going to call you down. You're taking a chance - albeit a lesser one than if he hadn't admitted making a mistake - but you are still giving him a chance to call if he really wants to.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In this case, I would take pleasure in screwing the guy out of his flop because he's clearly an [censored].

SpaceAce

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that sums it up pretty well.

Thanks for all the replies, Rod