Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Pentagon\'s Top General Calls Homosexuality \"Immoral\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no he will not go to jail, but you can bet his resignation will be called for, if he does not resign, they will call for his removal.....his crime? he offended.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay? Again, recall that you implied that 'progressives' and their imaginary paramilitary force, The PC Police, didn't respect free speech. So remind me -- what does calling for General Pace to apologize or resign have to do with free speech? ... other than, you know, send a signal that free speech is so widely respected that civilians can openly and publically demand for military leaders to apologize or resign if they so choose.

[/ QUOTE ]

APOLOGIZE FOR WHAT? OFFENDING SOMEONE? BY THAT REASONING, THE GENERAL COULD ASK FOR GAYS TO APOLOGIZE TO HIM FOR HAVING GAY SEX, CAUSE THAT IS OFFENSIVE TO HIM.

BEING OFFENDED DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE EXPECTATION OF BEING APOLOGIZED TO. TWO PEOPLE DONT AGREE ON SOMETHING....THE FIRST ONR TO GET OFFENDED GETS AN APOLOGY? IS THIS WHAT WE'VE COME TO?

LIKE I SAID, I DON'T AGREE WITH THE COMMENT IN QUESTION, BUT I KNOW WHERE IT WILL LEAD....YOU SEE IT EVERY DAY, (ie WANTING TO BAN THE TERM ILLEGAL ALIEN, NOT USING THE TERM ISLAMOFASCIST ETC) THESE ARE PC POLICE AGENDA ITEMS.... DOES USING THESE TERMS FALL UNDER YOUR DEFINITION OF FREE SPEECH (YOU SEEM REASONABLE SO I EXPECT THEY DO) YET YOU SEEM TO THINK THE PC MOVEMENT IS FOR ALL FREE SPEECH AND I DISAGREE. (THE EXAMPLES GIVEN ARE FROM JUST THE PAST FEW MONTHS, THERE ARE MANY MORE) DO YOU THINK THE PC POLICE IS A MYTH? DO THE EXAMPLES I GAVE GET MY POINT ACROSS A LITTLE BETTER?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DO THE EXAMPLES I GAVE GET MY POINT ACROSS A LITTLE BETTER?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but the caps lock helps.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:56 PM

I really hate that he compares being gay to committing adultery, the two have nothing in common and it's really an ignorant way to explain his view.

If nothing else I learned that the Pentagon's top general is stupid - of course that's no great leap seeing as things are going in the military these days.

Also, I believe some of you are failing to grasp the difference between an everyman saying "gays are immoral" and a man in a position of authority over gay people saying the same thing.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:58 PM

dvault,

You have articulated your point very well. Very well done. People using their freedom of speech to influence how the government is run is a good thing.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really hate that he compares being gay to committing adultery, the two have nothing in common and it's really an ignorant way to explain his view.

If nothing else I learned that the Pentagon's top general is stupid - of course that's no great leap seeing as things are going in the military these days.

Also, I believe some of you are failing to grasp the difference between an everyman saying "gays are immoral" and a man in a position of authority over gay people saying the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

that man is also in a position of authority of those who cheat on their wives. If I follow youre logic , that man cant say " I think that ppl who cheat on their wives is immoral"
Old 03-13-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they are trying to ban the terms islamofascist and illegal alien so they do not offend. banning words does not seem like free speech to me. am i too stoopid to see how banning words is protecting free speech? can someone please help me figure this one out? i am just a simpleton, i am sure someone can enlighten me and bring me around. please tell me what other words should banned in the defense of free speech. i need help!!!!!!!!!!please save me.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no he will not go to jail, but you can bet his resignation will be called for, if he does not resign, they will call for his removal.....his crime? he offended.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay? Again, recall that you implied that 'progressives' and their imaginary paramilitary force, The PC Police, didn't respect free speech. So remind me -- what does calling for General Pace to apologize or resign have to do with free speech? ... other than, you know, send a signal that free speech is so widely respected that civilians can openly and publically demand for military leaders to apologize or resign if they so choose.

[/ QUOTE ]

APOLOGIZE FOR WHAT? OFFENDING SOMEONE? BY THAT REASONING, THE GENERAL COULD ASK FOR GAYS TO APOLOGIZE TO HIM FOR HAVING GAY SEX, CAUSE THAT IS OFFENSIVE TO HIM.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not suggesting the General *should* apologize -- that's a different argument. I'm merely claiming that calls for him to apologize don't threaten the right to free speech, when you seemed to intimate that it did. In fact, I would suggest just the opposite -- calls for the general to apologize demonstrate the right free speech is at least someone well-respect in the US, as no one fears criticizing government officials, including military leaders.

[ QUOTE ]
BEING OFFENDED DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE EXPECTATION OF BEING APOLOGIZED TO. TWO PEOPLE DONT AGREE ON SOMETHING....THE FIRST ONR TO GET OFFENDED GETS AN APOLOGY? IS THIS WHAT WE'VE COME TO?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I didn't say the General *has to* apologize or get fired. I'm not his commanding officer, so it doesn't really matter what I think.

[ QUOTE ]
LIKE I SAID, I DON'T AGREE WITH THE COMMENT IN QUESTION, BUT I KNOW WHERE IT WILL LEAD....YOU SEE IT EVERY DAY, (ie WANTING TO BAN THE TERM ILLEGAL ALIEN, NOT USING THE TERM ISLAMOFASCIST ETC)

[/ QUOTE ]

What?! How can you ban a term? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

If someone says you shouldn't use the term illegal alien or islamofascist, what the [censored] are they going to do to stop you?

[ QUOTE ]
THESE ARE PC POLICE AGENDA ITEMS

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to the PC Police official website?

[ QUOTE ]
.... DOES USING THESE TERMS FALL UNDER YOUR DEFINITION OF FREE SPEECH

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...I think the right to free speech entitles you to use those terms, yes ... and I don't think there is anyone suggesting the state intervene to prevent you from using whatever terms you want.

[ QUOTE ]
(YOU SEEM REASONABLE SO I EXPECT THEY DO) YET YOU SEEM TO THINK THE PC MOVEMENT IS FOR ALL FREE SPEECH AND I DISAGREE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't think such a movement exists, but I'm pretty sure no one who is criticizing General Pace or demanding an apology from him is suggesting he be thrown in prison or sent to a gulag, so I don't think it's quite fair to insinuate they're trying to violate General Pace's First Amendment rights.

[ QUOTE ]
DO YOU THINK THE PC POLICE IS A MYTH?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't quite say I've ever seen them before. I know the right likes to reference The PC Police alot, as if they were a real entity, but then again, Coca-Cola references Santa Clause alot around Christmas time, and I'm pretty sure he's imaginary.

Does the PC Police patrol the streets? Townhalls? Congress? Just the internets?

Maybe I would recognize them if you gave me a description of what The PC Police looks like; what do their uniforms look like? Do they have badges to identify themselves as official officers of the PC Police?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not really.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Link to the PC Police official website?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more of a coalition than a single organization...

http://www.aclu.org/
http://www.rainbowpush.org/
http://www.glaad.org/
http://www.naacp.org/
http://www.moveon.org/
http://www.now.org/
Old 03-13-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they are trying to ban the terms islamofascist and illegal alien so they do not offend. banning words does not seem like free speech to me. am i too stoopid to see how banning words is protecting free speech? can someone please help me figure this one out? i am just a simpleton, i am sure someone can enlighten me and bring me around. please tell me what other words should banned in the defense of free speech. i need help!!!!!!!!!!please save me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, since you pleaded so much, I think you need help with the definition of the word 'ban'.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With apologies to A.G.

[ QUOTE ]

I went over to the General, said, "General, you got a lot a damn gall to
ask me if I've rehabilitated myself, I mean, I mean, I mean that just, I'm
sittin' here on the bench, I mean I'm sittin here on the Group W bench
'cause you want to know if I'm moral enough join the army, burn women,
kids, houses and villages after bein' a homosexual." He looked at me and
said, "Kid, we don't like your kind, and we're gonna send you fingerprints
off to Washington."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Continued apologies to Arlo, but now it's in my head...
[ QUOTE ]
... one thing you can do and that's walk into the shrink wherever you are ,just walk in say "Shrink, You can get anything you want, at Alice's restaurant.". And walk out. You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, [General Pace] may think they're both f*ggots and they won't take either of them.

[/ QUOTE ]