Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: i want to know everything

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My question is this:

I can read and read, but I feel that on more practical subjects (specifically programming, computer protocols etc), I can explain the theory all day long, but when asked to say, write a buffer overflow, I have a lot of trouble. What is the best way to get better at the practical side of what you are studying?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a job or real project doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if that isnt feasible?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:34 PM

Real project could mean anything (at least for programming). Keep your ears open for a friend who has some dingbat web idea or whatever. Offer to program it for free. I don't think there's any other way to really learn that kind of stuff.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:28 PM

philosophy is pretty easy

start reading...
Old 03-12-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i just read a lot. seems to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this, my only problem is that I have the memory of a 2 year old. I frequently forget what I read within a month, unless something REALLY captivates me or is really interesting/weird. How do I combat this? I can still remember the organic chemistry I did 3 years ago, but I can't remember the book on religion I read a month ago. I am genuinely interested in learning more about all subjects, unfortunately it just doesn't stick...

How do I solve this problem?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Use Your Perfect Memory by Tony Buzan

it has a separate section on maximizing recall after reading / studying... but it's very good overall too
Old 03-12-2007, 10:38 PM

kid,

la &amp; others,

I wrote this not so much as a "how can i learn everything" but more along the lines of, am i just weird for wanting to know so much, is this more common at a certain age, etc.

I can often learn what I want to know, to a point, on my own...its more the desire and reasons I'm curious about...

Thanks for all the answers so far.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i just read a lot. seems to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this, my only problem is that I have the memory of a 2 year old. I frequently forget what I read within a month, unless something REALLY captivates me or is really interesting/weird. How do I combat this? I can still remember the organic chemistry I did 3 years ago, but I can't remember the book on religion I read a month ago. I am genuinely interested in learning more about all subjects, unfortunately it just doesn't stick...

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's not interesting to you, then it probably won't stick. You need to have a little bit of a purpose to your reading. Maybe a type of connect the dots approach. For instance, say you want to know more about the middle east, you can start with checking out the news. Then read something that explains something that you didn't understand. Eventually, your studies will lead you to religion. Now you've got a reason to read about religion. The finer points will stick with you better because you can apply them to your prior studies.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 PM

i know what you mean asofel,its almost overwhelming at times,but i love the thought that no matter how long i live,i will always have books i want to read,films i want to watch,music i want to hear,places i want to visit,etc.

i have a similar problem to AZK with remembering things,often i will mention to someone that i really enjoyed a book i read a year ago,and then in the ensuing conversation i will realise that i have no idea how it ends.

i often remember an atmosphere or feeling from a book or film more than the actual story or whatever,which i suppose might be no bad thing,but it does make me worry that all the factual stuff i read might be going in one eye and right out the other.

i must have a look for that memory book.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I wrote this not so much as a "how can i learn everything" but more along the lines of, am i just weird for wanting to know so much

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I wrote this not so much as a "how can i learn everything" but more along the lines of, am i just weird for wanting to know so much

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, missed that the first time you posted that.

Any way, I can't imagine not wanting to know everything. I hate not knowing things and I'm always trying to learn more. I'm 44 and I've always felt that way.

Lot's of times I'm too lazy to continue the quest on certain topics and that's frustrating. And, as you mentioned, there are some things I'm afraid I'll never understand. But I'm pretty sure I'll always want to know everything as long as I live.