Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Re: PS3 and It\'s Games Dilemma

HVD will prolly end up pwning all if its released any time soon. But all these disc formats will done in by dlable movies with features soon enough.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But all these disc formats will done in by dlable movies with features soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we're years away on that. The technology to get streaming video onto your main TV is still prohibitively expensive. Not to mention that if it really takes off there isn't enough bandwidth to serve a large portion of the movie watching public.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:02 AM

Instead of buying a game, just sign up for Gamefly & try them all for less than it would cost you to buy one.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people switched from vhs to dvd because it offered more features (no rewinding, instant skip, bonus features, commentary, no degredation in quality over time, etc), not because of the better visual/audio quality...

[/ QUOTE ]

i agreee with that and i've been really sceptical about the new generation's market potential, especially with the growing competition from softserve technologies...but the other day I was at BestBuy and they had a split-screen demo running, DVD on one side and Blu-Ray on the other, and the difference was really really striking. it was like the difference between wearing medium-strength glasses and taking them off. in fact the DVD side looked so much worse than the Blu-Ray side that i have trouble believing the demo is legit.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:48 PM

watch an hd channel during an hd program (ie nbc during heroes) and then switch it to the non-hd channel playing the same thing...it'll make u wonder how u ever watched such blurry sdtv before....in side-by-side or back-to-back viewings, it's a remarkable difference...but when u haven't seen the hd version recently, you adjust to normal tv and it's OK again
Old 03-13-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes you think HD-DVD will win? Hasnt Blu Ray been outselling it for the past month or so? Once theres a decent PS3 installed base, its over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Video quality is identical. Audio quality is superior on HD-DVD. The latest incarnation of HD-DVD discs will have greater capacity than blu-ray leading to the possibility of comparatively greater additional features / enhanced interactivity, but in reality it probably won't mean much.

Blu-ray has actually pulled ahead in the number of movies available as of February 6th. Blu-ray had 159 movies available, hd-dvd had 158. Both numbers will change dramatically by the end of this year with Universal releasing 100 HD-DVD exclusives, and blu-ray undoubtedly planning to counter.

As far as sales goes - as of Feburary 18th, blu-ray outsold hd-dvd for the first time by a factor of 100:98.71 disks. Due to the PS3 launch, blue-ray has roughly fives times as many installed players - which puts that 1.29% video sales edge in an interesting context. Interpret it how you will.

As of right now, blu-ray is lower quality and much more expensive. I don't see anyway it could 'win'. However, it also has the support of a number of large studios making it difficult to see how it could 'lose'.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But all these disc formats will done in by dlable movies with features soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we're years away on that. The technology to get streaming video onto your main TV is still prohibitively expensive. Not to mention that if it really takes off there isn't enough bandwidth to serve a large portion of the movie watching public.

[/ QUOTE ]

Streaming SD movies are available on XBox Live within minutes. Streaming HD movies are available within hours. We're definitely not 'years away' from it.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Streaming SD movies are available on XBox Live within minutes. Streaming HD movies are available within hours. We're definitely not 'years away' from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a big difference between several thousand users firing up a movie on Xbox Live and every Tom, Dick, and Harry firing up a moving on a Friday night.

Obviously you can currently get streaming movies. Netflix offers them now. The problem is when this idea takes off, there could be a shortage of bandwidth.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
watch an hd channel during an hd program (ie nbc during heroes) and then switch it to the non-hd channel playing the same thing...it'll make u wonder how u ever watched such blurry sdtv before....in side-by-side or back-to-back viewings, it's a remarkable difference...

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but the difference between DVD and HD-DVD is less than the difference between broadcast SD and broadcast HD. (For the same reason that broadcast SD is worse quality than DVD).

It also depends on the movie. I have 3 movies in both HD-DVD and regular DVD. The difference is really big in two of them (Ant Bully and King Kong), but barely perceptible in the third (Terminator 3).
Old 03-19-2007, 08:00 PM

when metal gear solid 4 comes out it will be very likely that i'll buy one... until then its a no no, happy enough with my 360.