Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Buying a bicycle

Going secondhand sounds like a good idea, Victor, thanks. If I can get the right size, tho. But it's worth checking out!
Old 03-12-2007, 01:42 AM

If you need the bike for a triathlon, get a triathlon or road bike. If you are doing commuting, or riding in urban areas where you want to dip in and out of traffic, a hybrid is best. It is important to be able to stop on a dime riding in traffic, so you really want disc brakes (especially if it ever rains there). I'd recommend this bike on ebay, if it will fit you:

novara buzz

A buddy of mine owned one of the previous buzz's, it was an incredible bike. All the parts are high quality.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:45 AM

I can't imagine needing disk brakes on a bike, I'm pretty sure I could cover my wheels in vegetable oil and have no problem locking them up.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:55 AM

There are a few distinct advantages to having disc brakes, and once you try them you understand immediately how much better they are. For one, if your rims get wet, v-brakes are next to useless, where disc brakes work fine even if the discs get wet. The increased power is obviously an advantage, but also being able to control the power compared to v-brakes (which just lock up as you said). Then there is the maintainance, which is a pain with v-brakes but is MUCH easier with discs (although hydraulic discs are better in this regard than mechanical).

When you are riding around in traffic and some [censored] cuts you off, the difference of a few feet of stopping distance is huge.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:25 AM

If you just want to cruise around town, $250 is plenty. I ride a Lightspeed myself, but I buy a lot of bikes for people and I usually just get them cheap *LIGHT* townies until they demonstrate they actually want to bike.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:52 PM

If you aren't ready to spend the extra bucks (>$1000) do yourself a favor and do not test ride them. I bought myself a Trek 1000 road bike with the Tiagra shifters. They are totally fine and I really like my bike. However, I did try out the 105's which are so smooth. I couldn't justify the extra price. I wish I didn't know that they were that much better (although I really don't "need" the improved performance).

Also, stay south of the museums along the bike path. I live near North Ave, and it is hell around here on the weekends.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:14 PM

Im looking to get from 12th to 58th. Is there just some bike path and I can just head south and it is all self-explanatory?
Old 03-12-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im looking to get from 12th to 58th. Is there just some bike path and I can just head south and it is all self-explanatory?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the path is right along the lake. Plenty of signs. Just ride East until you get to the lake. You'll run right into the path. It's a great ride. There are underpasses/overpasses to get you to the otherside of the drive once you get where you want to go.

Don't mess with disc brakes, you don't need them. Look what the bike messengers use. Lots of them use track bikes with just one brake. You can easily pop in and out of traffic with standard brakes. I've been doing it for years.

Also, if you're interested in a triathalon then you'll want the drop handle bars. You usually are not allowed to draft in a tri, so sitting upright will really slow you down. Additionally, if you are riding any distance over 20 miles, the drop bars are much better on your back.

I couldn't tell, but did you get my second PM last night?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:23 AM

Dean,

I bought a bike I am really enjoying for about $900 with a deraiuller (sp?) upgrade to 105's.

Cross Check

It is a steel framed road bike. It can go decently fast for the non-racer, is fairly comfortable, and can handle a decent amount of rough stuff. I use it all the time to ride to friends' places under 5 miles. If I go to work or school (6 and 14 miles respectively) I actually put the shoes on and clip in and I am off.

Having the curved handlebars is awesome (for comfort and positioning options). I am very happy with my purchase so far. I bought the bike as is with just the 105 upgrade, and clipless pedals.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:00 PM

I am also interested in buying a bicycle, so I'll just bump this instead of starting my own thread. I don't care about racing, I just want a mountain bike so I can go on trips with some of my friends who are into mountain biking. Also, I'm poor now because I don't play poker anymore, so I'd like to keep it under $200. Is Craigslist the way to go here, or am I likely to end up with a piece of [censored] bike if I go that route?