Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Pledging a fraternity (Long)

I am a senoir now, so ive spent nearly 4 years with my fraternity. Been through good times and bad.

What I can tell you is that alot of fraternities have christian ideals. None of our non-christians have a problem with any of that. Its simply ritualistic stuff, its not like they are making you go to church.

the worst thing that can happen to any fraternity is having all of the same kind of people. I personally learned alot from my brothers who aren't like me and it gives you better idea to throw better parties and makes you look less like the sterotypical frat guy.

Semesters are good and semesters are bad. Sometimes you will have tons of good parties and nothing else, other times you will have no good parties but lots of sucessful fundriasers and philanthropic events.

And drinking every weekend is what most college students do, you should't be surprised about that.

My reccomendation is to take an active role in your fraternity and work to improve. Start with a position like rush chair and work your way up the ranks. You sound like you want to make things better and thats the only way. You can make a huge difference with rush chair because then alot of the newer members will know you and like you and follow you when you try to lead.

Lastly, greek life at times can be very similar to high school. Its up to you how much you want to involve youself in the high school drama that occurs.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
strict no hazing = gay fraternity

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. Every national is strict no hazing. Are you in the stone age?
Old 03-10-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. Every national is strict no hazing. Are you in the stone age?

[/ QUOTE ]

*****Breaking News***** The United States has a strict no going over the speed limit policy. We're all screwed!
Old 03-10-2007, 08:23 PM

That was basically how they explained the role of Christianity to me. What positives did you gain from being in the fraternity as opposed to what I could get just meeting new people on campus?
Old 03-10-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-10-2007, 10:43 PM

no hazing policy... yeah every frat has a strict no hazing policy. Your going to get hazed, depending on the frat and the school, is how bad your going to get it. Here (south carolina) Sigma Chi hazed their pledges when i was a freshman pretty bad from what i was able to get out of my friends. Regardless they are going to make you do/say things that you dont want. Wheather its simply yelling at you/making you DD/or clean their rooms all the way up to making you eat dirt, some weird [censored] stuff or strait up beating you. Granted it's most the way thru the semester so if they havent done anything real bad yet, with the exception of hell week it shouldnt get much harder.

As for the christianity thing, all frats that are real frats are based on christian traditions. Your an atheist, just mouth the words, they wont kill you, and if they do you shouldnt care, thats why your an atheist anyway.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:10 PM

At my university we have a very large greek system also a strict no hazing policy in play. The Sigma Chis killed a freshman pledge by "forcing" him to drink an entire bottle of hot damn 100 after he had already been drinking at a Big Brother function. Members testified that he was forced by his "Big Brother" during an after-function function and that hazing was involved. They found him dead under a futon the next morning with a blood alcohol content of .46. They didn't call the police or an ambulance until sometime that afternoon. They were kicked off campus, our entire campus (including greeks) became dry, and some of the members face jail time.

Last week at the other major university, a pledge was "paddled" by members over a period of time, and very badly during some ritual. They beat him so badly that he had to have plastic surgery on his butt, lower back and thighs. Yay brotherhood! Just food for thought...
Old 03-11-2007, 12:28 AM

I like a lot of people in fraternities and sororities here, but I can't help but think that most of the the people in them simply cannot deal with being outside of some readily defined clique.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:04 AM

The only downside of being in a fraternity is having to go to the meetings, unless you like that stuff.

Remember that you decide your own level of involvement and you decide if it is right for you. At any time you have the option to walk away. People will sterotype you until you have a conversation with them, then they will quickly change their minds (unless you act like the sterotype).

i wont go over the benefits because there are way too many.

About hazing. I will start by saying that if you were not hazed, you missed out on some of the experience. I personally was not hazed - if I could go back I would change that, and so would many of the other members of my fraternity. As it stands right now, if a pledge wants that experience he may ask for it and he will probably receive it.

There are different kinds of hazing though. Making them do things like drink water in a freezing cold basement full of piss until their brain's swell and they die isn't quite hazing (true story from Chico State). Its more of a sadist power trip. The true goal of hazing is to unite the members through their experience and have them learn brotherhood. Make them feel like they earned their membership, it makes them want to be members more than anything in the world. The second kind of hazing leads to a very productive excellent fraternity.

Lastly, Im pretty sure Hugh Heffner sends every fraternity 2 free copies of playboy every month. Lol.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your an atheist, just mouth the words, they wont kill you, and if they do you shouldnt care, thats why your an atheist anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word?