Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Nevada Democrats pull out of Foxnews Sponsored Debate

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It didn't take long for this thread to get hijacked into yet another "bash Fox News" thread, did it?

[/ QUOTE ]

She actually bailed on CNN and went to the one place she wouldn't be challenged in any meaningful way - Faux news.

rb

[/ QUOTE ]
How can you say that? She appears on Hannity and Colmes. You think that Colmes did not challenge her remarks. Do you see anyone on cbsabcnbccnn challenging maher for basically wishing cheney was dead? Wisen up n open your eyes. I know the pure hatred of the bush admin is blinding for a lot of people, but saying coulter wasnt challenged even by other conservatives is outright false. even o'reilly who I know all you dems think is in the tank for repubs called her out on fox.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It didn't take long for this thread to get hijacked into yet another "bash Fox News" thread, did it?

[/ QUOTE ]

When the man in charge of your news department smears both of your major candidates, why in the world would you want to go on that mans network? Especially considering what happened last time?
Old 03-13-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When the man in charge of your news department smears both of your major candidates, why in the world would you want to go on that mans network? Especially considering what happened last time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not relevant to the OP.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:38 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not relevant to the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

care to elaborate here? it seems incredibly relevant.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think most people on this board, even the conservative ones, generally agree that Foxnews is biased in favor of conservatives. But, as a democrat, I don't like this decision to boycott a news organization by political leaders because they don't agree with its viewpoint.

[/ QUOTE ]

For one, I think the decision was reached because many of the activists in the party demanded it; the leftwing blogosphere (Kos, ThinkProgess, MyDD et al) had repeatedly harped on the Nevada Democratic Party and Sen. Reid for even considering to host a debate in partnership with FNC. Once Sen. Edwards dropped out of the debate, the pressure was on the other candidates to demonstrate their loyalty to left wing activists by dropping out too.

In other words, I don't think it's fair to claim political leaders were the driving force behind the decision to cancel the debate; the leaders more or less caved in to activist pressure. I don't think this is a contentious point but let me know if you disagree.

Therefore, given that candidates dropped out of the debate because of political pressure, I don't think it's fair to say the candidates dropped out of the debate (which led to its cancellation) because those leaders "don't agree with Fox's viewpoint". Now, those leaders likely do disagree with Fox's viewpoint -- I certainly don't deny that; but I submit that the prospective candidates dropped out because the activists (whose support any successful primary candidate will need to win the nomination) demanded that they drop out.

I don't think it's necessary to review the reasons why the left dislikes Fox, as anyone with a casual interest in following politics is well aware that FoxNews is loathed by the left.

On a side note, I think Edwards decision to take the bull-by-the-horns and drop out first, thereby placating and appeasing the activists whose support he desperately needs, was a brilliant strategic maneuver. He won the praises of the left wing blogosphere for his move, which is vital because their influence is only growing among the activists of the party.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore, given that candidates dropped out of the debate because of political pressure, I don't think it's fair to say the candidates dropped out of the debate (which led to its cancellation) because those leaders "don't agree with Fox's viewpoint". Now, those leaders likely do disagree with Fox's viewpoint -- I certainly don't deny that; but I submit that the prospective candidates dropped out because the activists (whose support any successful primary candidate will need to win the nomination) demanded that they drop out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with your analysis here. However, the effect I still have a problem with. Whether its the candidates themselves, or the fringe of the party, Foxnews is the biggest cable news channel in the country, and the democrats are boycotting it because they (or the left wing activists who they have caved to) don't like Fox's viewpoint. Now, I dislike foxnews, but I think this is just a bad precedent, and a slippery slope. Can political parties now leverage news networks to only report what they want reported, or else withhold their candidates and leaders from interviews? I'm sure this goes on to some extent already, but it is at least behind the scenes, whereas this latest action was done very publicly. I think it threatens the freedom of the press in the long run.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:53 PM

Its not just that they dont like their views. Like i said go back and watch coverage or read transcripts of the previous Fox News debates. Nothing like a normal debate coverage wise. And refer to Roger Ailes comments in public about Obama and Clinton. The same company that STILL has shows spewing the Obama Madrassa garbage and other littlegreenfootballs talking points. This isnt about "hey they disagree lets walk away", its about lets not let these people walk all over us, make fun of us AND then give them an exclusive.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:02 PM

Jman -

Fox News is a propaganda organization masquerading itself as a news organization. Participating in a Fox News debate - with all the Fox sets and logos and "anchors" - legitimizes it as a news organization. That is all.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jman -

Fox News is a propaganda organization masquerading itself as a news organization. Participating in a Fox News debate - with all the Fox sets and logos and "anchors" - legitimizes it as a news organization. That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every news organization is like this. Even if you ignore/deny the liberal bias of the mainstream media, their pro-government and pro-corporate bias is readily apparant. If you want to say that Fox News takes it to greater/unacceptable extremes, fine, say that, but don't just say that they're doing what everyone else is doing.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:04 PM

I find it hilarious that Air America has apparently offered to co-host a Republican candidate debate.