Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Re: How would you play this hand on the river? (NL50 6 max)

Here is the simplist thing for you ever. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER just complete. It is the most atrocious play known to man, save the 1/2 BB or raise it up. You get in SO much trouble just completing.

If you raise at least you control the hand and have FE. Without the raise you are OOP to EVERYBODY and unless you get very lucky you will always lose bg pots rather than win big pots.

And the worst play in poker is going broke in an unraised pot!
Old 03-09-2007, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It seems like most people believe this is a fold preflop. My question is what do we complete here in SB after button limps? A5? AT? 78suited? QJ off? Where do we draw the line?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold pf is extremely tight IMO. 89o from SB in an unraised pot? I am amazed at the responses this is getting.

[/ QUOTE ]

With these hand you mostly end up with a drawing hand or a marginal hand on the flop. That's not easy to play and I assume that most people around here are beginners who should avoid those spots for the most part. The other important factor is that you need to have some information to be able to play these hands profitably from oop: Can I draw cheaply? Are my opponents weak so that I should semi-bluff? Are they maniacs who will raise with nothing? How are my implied odds, ie. do they call too much? You should have answers to these questions BEFORE you call preflop. Flopping a straight doesn't make it a good call preflop.
And as op said:

[ QUOTE ]
Not far into the session. No read on the villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I think he should keep himself out of trouble here.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:23 AM

I agree in that Tight is Right pf when starting out; but I'd be looking to mix it up for half a bb pf with the anticipation of check folding the flop once I'm comfortable with the game.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:34 AM

I like another limper or two though to give me more overlay. 5:1 are great odds, but if I hit big, I'd like to have more potential customers in the pot.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is the simplist thing for you ever. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER just complete. It is the most atrocious play known to man, save the 1/2 BB or raise it up. You get in SO much trouble just completing.

If you raise at least you control the hand and have FE. Without the raise you are OOP to EVERYBODY and unless you get very lucky you will always lose bg pots rather than win big pots.

And the worst play in poker is going broke in an unraised pot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I totally disagree with your first statement, but agree with your last one. I complete from the SB more than I raise from it... my VPIP from SB is 21%. Even with a raise you are OOP unless you take it down preflop. Over my lifetime stats I'm a very small loser from the SB. -150$ over 70k hands. You just have to be able to play poker post flop.