Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Graduating soon with a Finance Degree - want some talk on jobs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can you really get a decent job on the 5 year plan?

I'd probably insta-reject most five year guys mostly cause it screams: "It take me 25% longer to do something most average people can do."

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy response to that would be just to say that you weren't sure yet what you wanted to do with your life and needed some time to decide on it so you took an extra year in school. Plenty of people go for five years who aren't just slackers, what about people who change their major?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could lie and say that your program is a 5-year program. Almost all finance majors at my school do a 5-year program. (I am not a finance major)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not graduating on time, I am graduating a quarter late and it is simply because I got into my major late. But I can see your rationalization with a full 5-year plan.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:33 PM

Note: Obviously there are some legitimate reasons for going 5 years. Like a real 5 year program for sitting for a CPA exam etc. Changing majors is a kinda meh issue. Unless you switch majors in your junior year you should still be able to graduate on time.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:38 PM

Why don't you check out financial analyst positions in non-finance companies?

That way, you might get attached on to interesting projects from time to time. just because you are majoring in finance doesn't mean you have to work in the finance industry or be a lousy financial planner.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:10 PM

I'm in exactly the same position whyzee is in. I go to a private college and just recently (around sometime last month) have begun my job search. I got started late because I've always put a large focus on my grades. I finished in the top 5% of my class and expect to graduate cum laude, but as of now it doesn't matter since I don't even have a job. With my focus geared towards grades, though, I didn't put enough effort into my job searc,

The biggest problem I've had is my lack of work experience. I don't have any internships under my belt because I played poker for the last couple of summers to pay for college. There still are some jobs available, but not as much in the fall (my college isn't that well-known , o not many top firms recruited here anyway). I guess I can only blame myself for not being aware of how the job search process goes, but I honestly thought graduates started looking for jobs the summer after they graduate, not the fall before. I think my school should take some of the blame, though, because the advisors there are terrible.

I was stressed out over the last month when I found out how late of a start I got. But after talking with some people, I realized it's not as big of a problem as I initially thought. In terms of my work experience, I was told a lot of employeers respect the abilities necessary to be a winning poker player. In terms of getting a late start...if I can't find a top quality job this year, what will one more year hurt anyway? I'm studying for the CFA so that will keep me busy, plus I'm sure I can still find a lower level job during the summer until the fall when companies start recruiting again.

If I don't get the type of job I want I have a decision to make. Should I try getting an internship at a respected firm or do bitch work in some type of finance-related job.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:45 PM

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a decent entry level job at this point. Taking a year off is not needed, believe me you dint miss much. I also want to get my CFA, but you are making a mistake if you dont get a job before you plan to take it because they will pay for it.

Experience is experience its looks alot better than your grades on a resume.

On a side note, I have another hurdle for my job search too. im a canadian who goes to school in the USA, so I need a company that is willing to help me get a work visa, most of which are not interested.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:58 PM

I would normally agree with you that experience is more important than grades, but not for someone who is looking for an entry-level job.

I think it all depends on the job you're looking for. If you're looking to find something at a bulge bracket IB firm or venture capital firm, you're just wasting your time.

GL to you.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:41 PM

I suggest returning to canada and looking for a job there and only there.

It is extremely hard for an FN to get a job in the USA out of college. Significant preference is given to us citizens/people w/ the legal right to work in the USA. you will be segregated from the regular job seeking population and evaulate on a much tougher basis. you will have to complete with the ultra smart FN indians for jobs and that sucks.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest returning to canada and looking for a job there and only there.

It is extremely hard for an FN to get a job in the USA out of college. Significant preference is given to us citizens/people w/ the legal right to work in the USA. you will be segregated from the regular job seeking population and evaulate on a much tougher basis. you will have to complete with the ultra smart FN indians for jobs and that sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I totally understand this. The thing is that the canadian banking/finance industry is basically dominated by 5 major banks that do everything. there aren't an absolute abundance of FIs everywhere. Jobs are more competitive and your start lower on the totem pole.

On the upside though, Toronto is a nicer city than anything the USA could offer me...and I could vacation in Cuba...