Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Things bad low limit players do

Passivity.

The worst players I see are passive. Some are so passive they will never raise a hand, even with the stone-cold nuts. True. A couple of regulars are so bad about it, if I've got AQ and and A comes, I'm careful with putting in a lot of bets if they stick around because I've seen them turn over AK too many times. Kid ya not. I had A4 and got two pair on the flop, bet it to the river, only to see someone I didn't expect turn over a set of sixes. No joke.

Yes, they play too many hands and they play them too far, and then don't get enough out of the winners to be making any money.

"Uh, ma'am, at what point did you think your full house wasn't any good?"

Good thread.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Will you ever raise middle pair in that spot?

[/ QUOTE ]No, I usually fold. Not saying there aren't situations that you can call, but those are rare.

Btw "protecting you hand" is heavily over-rated imo. I don't know, recently I've been seeing all those books in a different light... many concepts don't matter as much as people seem to think they do; the game has evolved. I can't really describe it exactly...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and the reason is that many small stakes players bluff too much, as stated before, and they are convinced that others are bluffing with the same frequency as they are. These LOOSE players make more crying calls, chase more, and overcall way to much with TP mediocre kicker.
This play tends to dilute concepts described in SSHE and used by those grinding, thinknig players.
It seems that these "bad players" (which was and still could be me possibly) cause the variance to become wider. Any thoughts?
Old 03-08-2007, 01:15 PM

Cold calling raises even from players they know are tight/aggressive players.

EXAMPLES from last Friday night.

I raise from mid position with AKs donk calls, flop 45K two hearts, I bet he raises, I call. Turn is 8h, I check, he checks. River is As I check he bets I call he shows K3h, I say nice hand sir. He cold called with K3h!

I haven't played a hand in 40 minutes and raise with AA it gets cold called and then called by 4 more players. Flop comes KT8 with two hearts. I know I'm probably dead but bet and get called 4 ways. Turn is 7s I check, it gets bet and raised so I fold. Riv is 2c and turn raiser bets and shows K8off to take the pot. First cold caller guy showed QT of hearts.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:34 PM

[grunch]

-Bad players coldcall far too often. Both preflop and postflop.

-Bad players don't adjust their play to the opponent they're facing. Bad players keep firing with ace high vs. a calling station, and bad players keep calling down with bottom pair vs. a rock.

-Bad players have no concept of pot odds. They fold middle pair with an overcard getting 10:1 on the flop, and they call with a 4-flush & undercards getting 3:1 on the turn.

-Bad players slowplay strong but vulnerable hands too often, and for too many streets. They check/call the flop & turn with top set, then go crazy after the river puts a 4-flush on board.

-Bad players take easily dominated hands to the flop too often, and don't know how to fold them when they hit top pair.

-Bad players try to outplay a maniac by coldcalling his raises with 5 high & hoping to hit the flop. Or turn. Or river.

-Bad players call flop bets too often in HU pots with weak overcard(s).

-Bad players fail to define their hands in order to force good players out of the pot (when the good player has outs to beat them).

-Bad players don't "listen" to what their opponents are telling them about their hands.

-Bad players play too high for their bankrolls.

-Bad players lambast (I love this word today) other bad players at the tables.

-Bad players don't know when to stop their sessions.

-Bad players don't realize that even if they only have $2 behind in a 3/6 game, that doesn't mean they have to put it into the pot on the river when they're obviously beat.

-Bad players think they suffered a bad beat when they flop two pair with K5o, then lose to AA when the board pairs.

-Bad players tend to sit on my left and hit a phenonemonal number of runner runner straights.

[/grunch]
Old 03-08-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[grunch]

-Bad players tend to sit on my left and hit a phenonemonal number of runner runner straights.

[/grunch]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL-Ain't that the truth.
Harv-Where are you playing at now (FT 3/6?) and when do you normally play (day,night, always, etc)
I would like to watch some of your sessions.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Harv-Where are you playing at now (FT 3/6?) and when do you normally play (day,night, always, etc)
I would like to watch some of your sessions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Primarily FT 3/6, yes. Also some Stars & some other limits when the tables don't look so hot.

My schedule varies tremendously, but generally I play a couple hours in the mornings and a couple more in the afternoon/evening. That's Eastern U.S. time, when I'm sleeping at night--next week I may be back to the marathon midnight to 7 AM sessions.

I don't know what you could possibly learn by watching me play, though, other than how to lose with overpairs & sets. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2007, 01:46 PM

Your posts help me to see through the cracks in my game and I am trying to get back into SSHE after cashing out my bankroll late last year. E-passporte is fun.

Which has just given me an idea for a new (not so new thread).
Old 03-08-2007, 02:02 PM

I can maybe add a few:

They don't raise big hands PF enough or at all.

They don't raise enough in general

They not only chase any flush or str8s, but the low or very bottom ends of each.

One I never hear much: They will let their stack get down way below 12 BBs, a very crucial minimum in limit. I see this all the time.

When they lose all their chips, they like to rebuy for only around 5-8 BBs at time. Lame

They look at their hole cards way too early on in the hand.

They will call any raises from any player, tight or other when they are in the SB & BB.

Total disregard for position in the hand.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cold calling raises even from players they know are tight/aggressive players.

EXAMPLES from last Friday night.

I raise from mid position with AKs donk calls, flop 45K two hearts, I bet he raises, I call. Turn is 8h, I check, he checks. River is As I check he bets I call he shows K3h, I say nice hand sir. He cold called with K3h!

I haven't played a hand in 40 minutes and raise with AA it gets cold called and then called by 4 more players. Flop comes KT8 with two hearts. I know I'm probably dead but bet and get called 4 ways. Turn is 7s I check, it gets bet and raised so I fold. Riv is 2c and turn raiser bets and shows K8off to take the pot. First cold caller guy showed QT of hearts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your postflop play is as bad if not worse than these guys' preflop play.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:25 PM

OK oh wise one how would you have played them?
Do you just fold and run away whenever you face resistence or a scary flop. If so you will be eaten alive in these loose games I play in.