Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: 40/80, aggressive line with 77 on the button

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see any reason to raise the flop. You disguise your hand well and you are way behind a tough players range when he leads the flop into a 5 player field.

[/ QUOTE ]

and you allow overcards to play perfectly against you.

EDIT: OP, so far there is no other way to play this IMO. The interesting decisions will be on t & r.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overcards? Are you talking about the big blind or the small blind? I think giving the big blind just overcards is pretty optimistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

SB. he is the only one left to act. i'm just saying he has odds to call a lot of hands for 1 bet that should fold for 2
Old 03-07-2007, 06:19 PM

I appreciate all of the comments.

The BB's bet/3-bet line on the flop really surprised me. Although I had never played with her before tonight, my impression prior to this hand was that she was very solid. For her to build a big pot OOP, initially against a large field, meant that she either had a made hand or a monster draw.

I thought by raising the flop I could get it HU and maintain control. Once she 3-bet (after the SB's cold call) I knew I was behind; capping would not have folded out the SB, and honestly, I wasn't sure how clean/good any of my outs were. So I just called the 3-bet and hoped for help on the turn.

TURN: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Well...that wasn't very helpful.

SB checked, BB bet, I folded, SB called.

RIVER: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checked, BB bet, SB called. BB had 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for a flopped set, SB had 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for an overpair on the flop. I was in third place PF, lol.

Given that we were three handed when the flop action reached me, and I had the button, I don't hate my flop raise, but I also wish I had taken a few more seconds to think things through before I raised, as I was aware that a flopped set was one of the BB's potential hands, given her betting line. Of course, if I had just called the flop, SB would have raised, BB would have still 3-bet, and I could have folded a bit more cheaply. Hindsight + results-based thinking makes us all geniuses [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The best thing about the hand was that my line (and subsequent turn fold) must have looked very weak to the SB, who then proceeded to spew chips at me until he had tilted off the rest of his stack about half an hour later. So it wasn't all bad.

Thanks again for the comments.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate all of the comments.

The BB's bet/3-bet line on the flop really surprised me. Although I had never played with her before tonight, my impression prior to this hand was that she was very solid. For her to build a big pot OOP, initially against a large field, meant that she either had a made hand or a monster draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this at Bay101? If so, could you describe her?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:41 PM

Also, the flop 4-bet puts much more weight behind a turn bet from the flop 3-bettor.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:43 PM

Yeah, this was Bay101 last night, after 11:00pm or so. I don't know if you were in the game, but I was in the 1 seat in the main game. I left around 12:30am.

Describe her? Hmmm...early 40's, serious demeanor, Asian, black hair (no gray) which was shoulder length or a bit longer and gathered in the back but not in a pony tail. Probably around 5'6", 135 lbs -- not petite, not fat, and maybe a little taller than average. Not a prop or dealer. Seemed to be a regular, though not one I was familiar with. (I used to play Bay101 a lot until mid-2005, when I switched exclusively to online, so I am familiar with some of the old crowd.) She played well and confidently, and was clearly a winner in this game.

Unfortunately, she didn't have anything else that was particularly distinctive, so my description probably fits several regulars.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the flop 4-bet puts much more weight behind a turn bet from the flop 3-bettor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, Andy, and against a trickier player I may have capped. But she wasn't all that tricky, just very solid, so once she 3-bet I was already confident in my read and didn't need to spend another small bet to reinforce it.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:03 PM

Not me. There are a couple of Asian women who play the 20 and 40 games at noon, but I don't think this is either of them. Certainly not Ann, and sounds too old to be Abby. There is one (name unknown) who plays the 40 and the 100 games, and fits the age description but not really otherwise - certainly not the "clearly a winner" part! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]