Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: some older bands/albums everyone should own

Old 03-07-2007, 12:37 AM

I might do a detailed Pink Floyd post tomorrow when I have more time. In response to the OP, I think BBC Sessions is just as essential as any of LZ's studio albums. Especially for those of us too young to have ever had the chance to see them live.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:11 AM

Any Phil Ochs fans here? I personally think he was 5x the writer and performer that Dylan was during the time period. I really recommend giving him a shot. His biography is fantastic.

Another old band who is awesome and VERY underrated... King Crimson.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:18 AM

Nick Drake - Just buy the box set, you can not possibly go wrong. Like Jeff Buckley, he & his musical genius just passed before his time.

Speaking of Jeff Buckley - Grace. Must own. 4 octave range, incredible song writing, and nearly unparalleled depth. If this catches you just right, it stirs the soul. Halleluia.

Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus - a 1968 made for TV recording that never aired, it is live Stones at their Altamont-caliber finest. In addition to very solid tracks by Jethro Tull, The Who, and Taj Mahal. This gem includes 2 tracks by the only appearance of "Dirty Mac." Dirty Mac's first track is legendary: John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, and Mitch Mitchell (of the Jimi Hendrix Experience). Their second track incorporates the shreiking vocals of Yoko Ono. It's like a million angelic voices cried out at once, and then, Yoko Ono as the Death Star, suddenly silenced them. If you didn't hate her before, you will understand now.

Alan Parsons Project - Best of covers it all. You've heard more of this album than you know. It's what you haven't heard from this album that might surprise you.

Blind Faith - self-titled album. Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ginger Baker, and Ric Grech; but the first two colloborating (and a taste of the third is all the news that's fit to print). Oddly enough, Winwood is featured more prominently than Clapton vocally. Not a mistake.

Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill. Multi-levelled lyrics a poker player can't but love (try this to scratch the surface), jazzed out licks that groove (Midnight Cruiser, ftw), and, as Duke Ellington is credited, "if it sounds good, it is good."
Old 03-07-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another old band who is awesome and VERY underrated... King Crimson.

[/ QUOTE ]

That album cover has to be among the top five most notable/memorable from the boomer generation. As an aside I'm fairly sure this (In the Court of the Crimson King) is a Mason Malmuth favorite.

~ Rick
Old 03-07-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
television- marquee moon
traffic- the low spark of high heeled boys

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like Television you might like Be Bop Deluxe from about that era.

Regarding Traffic, great pick but IMHO "John Barleycorn Must Die" is probably a bit better.

~ Rick
Old 03-07-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I give up (after looking through about 100 album covers). What connection does this have to my post?

~ Rick
Old 03-07-2007, 01:41 AM

OK, I give up (after looking through about 100 album covers). What connection does this have to my post?

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Pink Floyd. Animals. One of the greatest 5-track EP's of all time. It's them at their best in all respects.

(Edit: don't believe it was a response to your post, but to the thread)
Old 03-07-2007, 01:54 AM

Lots of great bands/albums mentioned here, but I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned the Talking Heads yet (aka the greatest band EVAR). Everything from '77 through Remain in Light was ridiculously genius. Some of the stuff after that was pretty meh though.

Edit: Oops forgot that Speaking in Tongues, which is totally awesome, was after Remain in Light.

Also love The Band, Steely Dan, Television, Gang of Four, and Devo (seriously these guys were badass).
Old 03-07-2007, 01:58 AM

Everyone should own something from these guys:
Elvis Presley, I'll second the "Sun Sessions" album. Greatest voice ever.

Chuck Berry-He pretty much wrote the rock n roll song template.

John Lee Hooker-Electric blues, with a great beat/rhythm. His early work didn't use drums but it's still got a moving and swinging beat. Legendary voice as well.

The Who-Who's Next. A powerhouse album that anyone can get into without having to endure pretentious-art-rock-concept-album-filler. One of the top hard-rock albums of all time.

The Yardbirds-Three of the greatest guitarists came out of this band. Clapton in the beginning, then Jeff Beck joined, Clapton quit, and then Jimmy Page joined. Many great songs that most people don't hear because they're overlooked by classic rock radio.

These are mostly obvious choices, but the music gets older everyday, and more forgotten.