Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Business degrees

Management Info Systems - learn MS-Office programs, database theory and structure, how to analyze, design, and implement a computer system or network, learn how to program in C++/ Visual Basic (probably Java too), maybe learn how to set up a network from server to terminals, probably some HTML in there too. Math required - algebra, although Calc 1 was a requirement for me to get into business school. Jobs are usually analyst / programmer, unless you find something specific like database applications, webpage design, or systems design.

Finance - learn how loans and bonds are structured, how amortization and interest work, how to analyze financial statements and loan applicants, bugets and proforma statements, analyze stock performance, construct stock portfolios, international markets and investment opportunities, how money and banking works in the U.S., maybe take an elective that explores venture capitalism... Math required - algebra. Get a job as a loan underwriter, investment analyst, budget analyst, maybe loan officer, consultant, venture capital analyst, or be a cool forensic financial analyst with the FBI. If you go into banking, maybe become a senior credit analyst or move into a loan officer position. IME, stock brokerages want marketing majors for their stock broker positions, since it is a sales job.

Accounting - take classes like financial accounting, managerial accounting, cost accounting, tax accounting, partnership tax accounting, auditing...get a job as an auditor or tax accountant with a local CPA or big 4 firm. Eventually take the CPA exam, maybe go into practice for yourself or be a partner in a CPA firm. Algebra required.

For all the b-school haters out there....IME the ones who couldn't make it past Intro to Finance (about 25% of the b-school undergrads) went to liberal arts or university studies. B-school isn't the hardest stuff on the planet, but it's not the easiest either.

ScottieK
Old 03-06-2007, 09:06 PM

Finance/Econ
Accounting
CIS (If your school does not have a dedicated Computer science section in the math department)

Are all top tier majors. Only thing better are your analytical majors such as hard sciences and other applied math endeavors. Social sciences are horrid for just getting a generic job.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Finance/Econ
Accounting
CIS (If your school does not have a dedicated Computer science section in the math department)

Are all top tier majors. Only thing better are your analytical majors such as hard sciences and other applied math endeavors. Social sciences are horrid for just getting a generic job.

[/ QUOTE ]I beg to differ there.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:29 AM

Wow I didn't know how looked down upon Business Majors are...

I'm going to the undergrad business program at Penn State in the fall, and it is supposed to be the most difficult undergrad program to get accepted to at PSU. Now I'm finding out Business is a bigger joke than Communications?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:36 AM

hlacheen,

All in your checks. Business majors are paid.

T50,

Explain.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:16 AM

Yeah I was kinda depressed to read through this as well. I wonder what all these haters consider to be good if business degrees are so bad? Im serious - I'm only in my first year and I still have time to change directions.

In high school, my strengths (and interests) were in English, Social Studies and computer related courses - any recommendations?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:29 AM

Im in first year now and was planning on a comp sci degree but i hate all these gay math courses and i might switch to business just cuz its easier.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:06 AM

Mossberg,

Marketing and management are very poor majors that give you very few useful skills. Same for Int'l Bzn and anything that is "easy". Mass Comm and crap like that is equally worthless.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
T50,

Explain.

[/ QUOTE ] Well to clarify I meant econ isn't a top tier major by my post. I don't get much respect at all from employers, and I've minored in math and have a very strong academic record. At the begining of one interview (for a management consulting company) the interviewer even commented very doubtfully: "Well, I'm honestly used to looking at much more technical resumes." (I wanted to ask her if taking Abstract Algebra, Topology, and Real Analysis would make me THAT much more techincal...that's all I'd have to do to join the club. And the handful of upper level math classes I've taken have made me think harder than I EVER would had to have think in any business school class.)

Econ is easy (at least at the state school level), and thus doesn't command that much respect. Lots and lots of employers said they only were looking for finance, accounting, MIS, etc. If anyone wants to do business, I'd suggest they major in one of those.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:27 AM

Hey ed, I'm in my last year of Business Admin and didn't have to do many math courses.. after the intro courses, the classes are usually more concentrated and specific to what branch of business you would like to go into.. so I could have taken more mathy/finance course but chose not to

All my math related courses:

1st year - Stats, Calc I (Intro)
2nd - Finance
3rd - Finance

Classes/Subjects can some intro/managerial accounting, finance, economics (micro and macro), operations mgmt, marketing courses, information technology, Human Resources, etc .