Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: $2/$5 Flopped flush against a nit 300bbs deep

Omaha is the kinda game where a lot of very standard plays seem really weird in relation to every other poker game. That is why I love it.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5) he does not understand me at all, and probably thinks I will call down as light as 22 so TT is definitely in his range.

[/ QUOTE ]
The thing is that this just isn't consistent with him being a nit, nits don't do this they just check raise you with the nuts and wonder why they never get you to call.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is that this just isn't consistent with him being a nit, nits don't do this they just check raise you with the nuts and wonder why they never get you to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken. I suppose I gave him too much credit. The fact that he despises me will not make him bet/raise anything but the nuts.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:49 PM

Really good laydown. Almost every omaha player goes broke here? Online nobody lays this down at similiar levels.

I can remember one time where I got caught in a situation like this, but I stubbornly called the flop checkraise-called the turn pot bet- and called the river pot bet. Lost $3000 on the hand. The read on the villian is important and the villians previous history. I think with no read- you should go broke here?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really good laydown. Almost every omaha player goes broke here? Online nobody lays this down at similiar levels.

I can remember one time where I got caught in a situation like this, but I stubbornly called the flop checkraise-called the turn pot bet- and called the river pot bet. Lost $3000 on the hand. The read on the villian is important and the villians previous history. I think with no read- you should go broke here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will defer to more experienced players; but I do not think going broke here should be the standard unless you have a good read on your opponent. When you get check raised here I think you should have at least a draw to the nuts (a set). I realize that makes me extremely weak tight; but I think my reverse implied odds are really terrible in this spot in Omaha.

I suppose this hand was an easier fold than it could have been; but I am not sure how comfortable I would be here even against an unknown.

Edit: I would not play PLO online so I am unsure how I would handle it there.

Edit2: With 100bbs I do stack off here; but 300bbs is a fold I think.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:47 PM

wtf I hardly ever stack anyone when I have the A high flush here.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf I hardly ever stack anyone when I have the A high flush here.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying I should fold even with a hundred big blinds? I am beginning to love this game. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2007, 12:42 AM

well if the guy is a nit definitely you should not stack off even for 100BB. but in general you shouldn't play big pots where you have marginal non nut hands and no way to improve. I would only stack off here if I thought the guy was particularly aggressive (good or bad) or didn't really understand the game. And even then only sometimes.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So I should just fold the flop because of reverse implied odds or call and fold when he pots it on the turn?

I find it very intriguing that a fold on the flop would be standard against a nit (especially considering I have position) and that the second nuts is not a very strong hand against his range. I am really trying to improve in Omaha because it is so popular around here. I feel like I am giving up a ton of EV by not sitting against the donks who will throw >$1000 in a pot with two pair and a gutshot; em.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hands like second nut flush, underfull, bottom sets and occasionally even middle sets are hands which players from holdem backround often overvaluete when money is deep. Against very solid players those hands really cannot stand the heat when money is deep. Against donks and loose guys you should make more "gambles".

In the hand you have reversed implied odds and you are pretty probably drawing dead. This is true if your read of villain is true. If he really is nut-peddler or very close to it he will not try to push you out of the hand.

If he is good TAG and trying to push you out he will fire an other barrel turn and you have to fold anyway. Key to success on Omaha is not go give action to nits without very strong hand. Same time you make +EV gambles with loose guys.

You should be be beware of TAGs who play very tight but can also occasionally give high pressure without goods. But there is very little you can do if villain has goods most of the time and just occasionally steals some pots.

And you should usually not show your hand in the spot like above. It is bad to give good players extra information.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you guys have any recommendations for books?

[/ QUOTE ]

Secrets of Professional pot-limit Omaha by Slotboom gives good ideas. How good is your pot-limit Omaha by Reuben is also worth buying.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the tips. As a strictly hypothetical, if position was reversed and the villain calls my bet on the flop is my best line to check call down on a non-pairing board? It would seem that you are facing a virtual no win here out of position against a super nit.