Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: AK hand (25 NL)

We're pretty deep at about 150bb. I think we can get away if we raise and someone pushes.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:45 PM

I like raising pre-flop a little more here too. This is what typically happens: you get one caller, then another, and then everyone acting afterwards feels almost obligated to call with any type of decent hand. I like raising on the basis of position and limpers that have already acted (ex. if I'm on the button and there's been just one limper I'll raise less than if I'm in hijack and there's been three limpers), and I think just standard raising to 4xBB UTG will invite a good number of calls. It seems strange, but I seriously have found that my pre-flop raises are called much less frequently when I pop to $1.25 or $1.50 than $1. As for the rest of the hand, I think calling is the worst move here. Villain means business here, as this is very very unlikely to be a bluff or even a marginal hand, and therefore villain will be firing at the turn if called and probably fires harder than at the flop. If you flat call here you're going to have to put in much more money to get to showdown (and thus you're not really going to be able to control pot size). This is a pretty tough spot, but I'd probably elect for a raise here. However, I would probably fold if villain comes over the top (is this villain who has pretty tight stats really going to push with a low ace or any other worse hand? I don't think it's likely.)
Old 03-04-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We're pretty deep at about 150bb. I think we can get away if we raise and someone pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we raise to 14 (as sugested) the pot will be 23.75. After Villains flop bet they have 29.5 behind. If they push we are getting 53.25:20 or about 2.6:1. So maybe we could lay it down if it's just Villains push.

We don't know the stacks of the rest of the field behind us. If one of them pushes with an even smaller stack it gives us even better odds. I just think a raise more offten then not commits us to this pot and I am not sure I want to do that yet with what info we have. Hence I still advocate a call or could agree with a fold too.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:03 PM

i awlays raise these bets, thing that bugs me is how light he is, and 1.8 AF i doubt hes charging at a flush, I think we can repop this to 15 and be done with the hand after that because anything that calls that or does anything with it has us beat. If he takes awhile to call or act I think u can put him on the flush draw or weaker ace, so the turn card will be hard decision too since we don't want a big pot. This is why you need reads to know what he does with these types of hands, you can also fold and wait for such a read to make such a tough decision
Old 03-04-2007, 06:41 PM

My reasoning for the smallish raise was to hurt anyone who may have been drawing and so that I wouldn't be pot committed if villain came over the top. If I simply called I would be given great odds to anyone drawing and villain would most likely fire another large bet on the turn I'd have to call. All in all I think this comes down to whether or not I am willing to play for stacks with 5 people to the flop with nothing but tptk on a draw heavy board and since I wasn't I wish I had just folded this flop and saved myself the 10 dollars because I don't see anyway of getting this hand to the river without being all in.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:58 AM

Yeah, you're right about not getting a cheap showdown, so this small raise is just not going to be productive. Either you're getting reraised in which case I think you have to fold, or you're probably going to force the villain to fold a worse hand than yours (weak ace type hand has been suggested, though I think the villain is much stronger here) It does beg one interesting question though: what if the villain just flat calls the small flop raise? This would be rather odd.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call and fold against a big bet if a spade falls on the turn. If not I call all the way, but try to control pot size.

[/ QUOTE ]

I likie.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ummm... don't fold.

I would probably raise and call a push here. He could be betting a draw, a weaker ace, etc. I doubt he cold calls with a weak hand like a4 or q4, and he would most likely raise QQ, and probably AQ (although that may not be true).

[/ QUOTE ]

Terrible. With what hand will he start to bet into 4 players? Do you think with AJ or AT? This is at least a two pair hand or a flush draw with a gutshot straight draw. We are in a race at best, we are squeezed at the moment, we are facing a situation of reversed implied odds. Get rid of your cards and be proud of a good laydown!