Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Re: I am healthy now but how would I know if I have cancer?

preliminary signs
Old 03-03-2007, 09:44 PM

I think I gave off the wrong impression, I'm not worried about this at all. It just seemed weird to me that people in the US (who aren't even poor) get diagnosed with late stage cancer at any age. It seems common enough that we would have more common checkups etc.

I haven't been to a doctor for a checkup in many years. Do most of you go for at least an annual checkup?
Old 03-03-2007, 09:54 PM

If you're otherwise healthy, at your age you don't need a physical every year. Every other year tops...

Guys don't need them annually 'til they're 40 and then the fun really begins. Prostate Exam!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I gave off the wrong impression, I'm not worried about this at all. It just seemed weird to me that people in the US (who aren't even poor) get diagnosed with late stage cancer at any age. It seems common enough that we would have more common checkups etc.

I haven't been to a doctor for a checkup in many years.
Do most of you go for at least an annual checkup?

[/ QUOTE ]

You point out a big reason that cancer is often caught only in its late stages right there. Men especially tend not to go to the doctor very often at all. On the other hand, there are some cancers that progress extremely rapidly, giving you little leeway to detect them before they've moved to a late stage or even metastasized.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I haven't been to a doctor for a checkup in many years.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I be so bold as to suggest you go to the doctor and get a goddamned checkup?

WTF
Old 03-03-2007, 10:34 PM

Keep an eye on your moles. If they change in size or shape, are irregularly shaped, are two different colours for one mole, etc etc. Also read Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. Hiccups can mean cancer.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to chill. How do you know you don't have a heart defect that will cause you to drop dead one day if it isn't fixed? How do you know you aren't predisposed to having an aneurysm? Maybe you'll have a seizure on the freeway. You can't worry too much about this stuff. Most cancer is found in people significantly older than you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong on so many levels. First, cancer can be treated if caught early. The sooner you know, the better. Dropping dead from a heart attack can't be treated. Second, cancer can strike anyone, anytime. Maybe the OP has a high rate of cancer in his family. My father has 8 siblings. My 1 uncle is the only one in the family that has not had cancer. But because I am not old enough, I shouldn't worry?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:51 PM

I had five of my friends come down with cancer within six months. All bad cases. Miraculously, maybe, they all lived.

But yeah, things can happen. To everybody, or even to a lot of people, even all at once. You just never know for sure how safe you really are.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:02 PM

OMG! i think i actually have that thing that By-Tor posted (the picture). Just right above my belly i have a spot that is redder than the rest of my skin for some reason. Ive always wondered why i even have that or what it means.

I don't even have health insurance and i can't afford to go to the doctor, infact I haven't gone for like 10 years, im screwed [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2007, 11:45 PM

Pay attention to your body and how you feel. There are usually signs/symptoms.

Make sure you get an answer as to why you don't feel well. If the doctor's explanation and related solution doesn't work, keep hammering away to get an answer. I went about a year and half before coming up with the correct answer "cancer". I am now 3 years cancer free, but pay attention to your body!

Don't worry too much about it, just pay attention and don't worry about bugging your doctor.