Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Great bands or performers you saw by accident

[ QUOTE ]
nirvana. duffys,seattle late 89 i think. went w/ some friends to see a "nobody" band on our way to victoria canada. was blown through the back wall. i remeber thinking that they were the best band i had ever seen. no teen spirit yet. bad brains at the wow hall in eugene, or was 2nd best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, thats a pretty sick band to catch like that (Nirvana). You say they blew you away, but what was it about them that impressed you? I've never been a real fan of their live work; they seemed a little chaotic with their live sets. Any songs you remember them playing?

Bad Brains is awesome too. That would have been sick to catch them live. I heard HR is crazy live.

I caught No Doubt and Sublime and Korn on the same bill a while back before they were huge (although No Doubt had released their 1st album - the one with Trapped in a Box and Sublime had just released 40oz to Freedom, but it hadn't hit major radioplay yet). It was the best, most underrated concert I've ever been to.

It was at the old amphitheatre, I forget the name of it (I think it's called the Verizon Amphitheatre now). It was called INDEPENDENTS DAY, and it was a celebration of all the great, unsigned indy bands from CA (over 100 bands).

100+ bands, outdoors on a beautiful CA day, like 8 different stages, it lasted all day. It was like a little mini-woodstock of undergound california music.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:42 PM

a buddy of mine dragged me out to see Johnny Dowd - you wouldn't think a grey hair 50 something furniture mover from Ithaca would be worth seeing, but it was like the salvation of Rock and Roll on that stage that night.

Bar was nearly empty too - he's big in Europe, but in the states if you don't got fake [censored] you got no chance -

rb
Old 03-02-2007, 07:56 PM

1988 - Saw Robert Cray open for Huey Lewis. I think he was touring off his Strong Pretender album. Maybe the best opening act I have seen.

1990ish - Derek Trucks Band used to periodically play the Ringside Cafe in St Petersburg, Fl. I think he was just a teenager. Very enjoyable show.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:14 PM

I saw the Stone Roses at Straford-upon-Avon Civic Hall play to about 40 people just as they made the front cover of NME and became the biggest band in Britain. The accident was that I followed the Goth girls from the pub in the entirely correct belief that goth girls are easy. I didn't really like them: miserable northern [censored]s. This is the band I'm referring to. The girls were midlanders and that they were miserable goes without saying.

I also saw Arthur Brown this summer at a solar powered hippy festival. I didn't recognise him and couldn't understand how someone so old bald weird and withered could be such a good front man and I'd never seen him. As it was, I just didn't recognise him. He totally kicked arse and had this incredibly fit girl on keyboards
Old 03-02-2007, 08:29 PM

End of Summer, '66 staying at a friend's family cabin on the Russian River. We decided to walk over to Rio Nido and catch whoever was playing at the Dance Hall. The Dead.

'69 -- last minute decided to go over to the Carousel Ballroom and catch Jesse Colin Young. Some new band was opening for them called Chicago Transit Authority.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Iron and Wine is actually good live? Surprising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron and Wine is AMAZING live. The tour with Calexico is one of my top 15 shows no exaggeration. I love em.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some new band was opening for them called Chicago Transit Authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am really jealous of this one! I got to see Chicago but not until way later in their career, post Terry Kath. It was good but nowhere near what they were in their heyday!
Old 03-02-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow, thats a pretty sick band to catch like that (Nirvana). You say they blew you away, but what was it about them that impressed you? I've never been a real fan of their live work; they seemed a little chaotic with their live sets. Any songs you remember them playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

lithium, polly, pay to play were all in the set if i remember right. they were just so aggressive and yet so controlled. cobain played the guitar like it was part of his body. the music moved from monster to frail effortlessly. and the crowd was so intense.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:24 PM

saw the roots for the first time at woodstock 99 i think? they were great.

also i went to a show once and this band phunk junkeez opened. i dug it and checked out their albums, and liked them a lot.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:49 PM

Steppenwolf & The Guess Who at the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds when I was around 15.

Just happened to be at the fair and then notice there is a concert that night. Next thing I know, we are front and center, on the fence, 10 feet from the band rocking out and getting ripped.

Within an hour...more people where on the fence...then the fence was no more. They don't make chain-link like they use to? Either way...

</concert>

Also, Montrose at Great America one year...but I remember nothing about that day [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]