Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Full ring softer than 6m?

Have you played those hand at the same time ? If you begun with the 6-max you could very well have practice in 6-max and win in FR...
Old 02-28-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
35k hands of each

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this sample is kinda small.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you played those hand at the same time ? If you begun with the 6-max you could very well have practice in 6-max and win in FR...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this. Could you please explain?

I prefer FR because I prefer to play TAG. I guess this comes from my background playing FR limit. The LAG-style you encounter in 6-max just makes my head swim.

I know I have to learn to "adjust" and LAG it up when nessasary, but for now I'm just trying to become an overall winning uNL player. Been playing 8 months on the same $100.00 deposit and haven't had to reload, so I guess I'm not that bad off.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:32 AM

Personally I think full ring is indeed softer. Only in the sense that the better players are playing 6 max. (You even attest to this 1pokerboy). Being one of the few players who plays just about an even amount of hands at both, I can tell you guys like Dirty are alot more frustrating than the typical reg at full ring. Although Dirty is one of the better/laggier 6max regs. I'm also a little nitty.

But all this being said, I have been running better in 6 max the past 30k hands of both, and I'm not sure if it is variance or that I have more opportunities to adjust to the opposition in six max, particularly the bad regulars.

However, as far as winning big pots etc., it's generally easier in full ring because the villains are easier to put on a range and you can adjust accordingly.

I'd like to hear more thoughts on this though.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:39 AM

i can tell you my favorite part about 6-max is that its much easier to isolate bad players and pick on them repeatedly. at FR too many other people come along and you are forced to make your moves in small and medium pots a lot of the times. at 6-max you have far more opportunities to see heads up flops in position vs bad players. however, i rarely find myself putting my stack in at FR (now that i have adjusted somewhat) with very much doubt in my mind which way the pot is going/what the villain has, which is very nice as it allows for much less stress/lower variance.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:44 AM

I agree that if your oponents have equal skill you will have a higher winrate at 6-max than full ring. What everyone in this forum isnt understanding is that at all levels up to 5-10 or so dont have players that are equal in skill. Fullring tends to attract players with weaker playing ability. This is because most full ring regulars have achieved the majority of their success due to solid preflop skills.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that if your oponents have equal skill you will have a higher winrate at 6-max than full ring. What everyone in this forum isnt understanding is that at all levels up to 5-10 or so dont have players that are equal in skill. Fullring tends to attract players with weaker playing ability. This is because most full ring regulars have achieved the majority of their success due to solid preflop skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with you completely here, but i also think that even vs the bad regs at 200NL and up in FR you will be winning smaller and medium pots more than taking stacks off them, so winrate may end up a bit smaller still. i think the biggest difference is in the variance.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:07 AM

6max: higher winrate/more variance

FR: makes less/ stress less

Stocks or mutual funds guys, basic econ here both have risk/rewards, figure out what suits you personaly and go with it.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:15 AM

But isn't there also a stylistic differance?

Nit it up at 6-max and you'll get pummeled by raises & reraises. Try to LAG it up at a FR table (full of GOOD players) and you'll win small pots but lose big ones.

But good nits can beat FR, and good LAGs can beat 6-max.

Now, being a good nit is easy, but being a good LAG...
Old 03-01-2007, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But isn't there also a stylistic differance?

Nit it up at 6-max and you'll get pummeled by raises & reraises. Try to LAG it up at a FR table (full of GOOD players) and you'll win small pots but lose big ones.

But good nits can beat FR, and good LAGs can beat 6-max.

Now, being a good nit is easy, but being a good LAG...

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW a good LAG can kill FR as long as they adjust a bit. it is very possible to build a [censored] table image by winning a lot of small/medium pots and still show up with the goods in bigger pots. just have to be able to use reads/board texture/table image to know when people are actually playing back out of frustration and when they are value-towning.