Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 11:12 PM

Default Re: withdrawal from quiting poker?

[ QUOTE ]
Alos, my wife hates me being gone all night so i all of a sudden have a curfew which is making me make mistakes at the tables. I am a winning player and have supported myself entirely through poker for years

[/ QUOTE ]

You've been supporting yourself by playing poker for years, get married and now your wife doesn't want you to play is that right?

Did she know what you were doing before you got married? Did the two of you discuss it? If the answer to these two questions is no then shame on you. If the answer is yes then wtf is she trying to do, change you into what she wants AFTER she marries you? That's not going to work for at least one of you.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:39 PM

vkotlyar

This doesn't sound like withdrawls it sounds like depression. Your wife took away something you do very well and have loved doing for a lot of years. Suddenly it is gone and depression has set in.

It is hard to find something you are very good at in this world. It is very rare to find a job you enjoy and excel at. To have someone take that away and all of the other sudden changes in your life in a short time caused the depression.

I am not trying to bash your wife but she sounds very controlling. Things are only going to get much worse over the years if you don't straighten this out. You will grow to resent her more and more each year.

Best of luck with this. But I would definitely say this is not withdrawls and you should really think long and hard about how things will be in 5 years.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:36 PM

1. One of the number one reasons why marriages don't work out is because a spouse tries to change who their partner is after they get married. It can not be done.
2. You have a curfew? Damn man you are the MAN in this marriage if you want to play cards and you can support yourself well on it then YOU wear the pants and say when YOU will be home. She prolly thinks you are cheating on her or soemthing-tell her thats ridiculous and you were playing cards before and yuo will continue to.
3. What Mental said is correct-you will start to resent her if you continue to let her control you like this. Take charge and at least make a stipulation. Good luck man.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:38 PM

Hmm. To me it sounds like we've been pwned. His wife gives him a curfew? How does this work? Does she ground him if he comes home late? I'd love to try that with my husband. "Honey, be home by 11 or I, I...I'll write a letter to my Congressman, you just wait and see." Yeah, that'll work.

Friend, if you're winning and paying the bills, continue to win and pay the bills. If you're not winning and she has to work to support your poker, then OK. I'd tell her to call a lawyer. If you are winning, and she is trying to undermine your job of 4 years, then I'd say you are the one who should call a lawyer. I don't see how one adult can put a curfew on another adult. If she tries to tie you to the bed, well, that's assault and take it up with law enforcement or your attorney or both. But if all she does is gripe a little, then let it go in one ear and out the other -- like every other spouse in America!

A great man once said that the secret to a successful marriage is deafness. Try a little selective deafness. You may be very pleased.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A great man once said that the secret to a successful marriage is deafness. Try a little selective deafness. You may be very pleased.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL great advice. Been married 13 years and that truly is/was a great and wise man who stated that.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:58 PM

I was just reading the GA FAQ page and found a statement there very pertinent to this post.

[ QUOTE ]
Compulsive gamblers who have joined Gamblers Anonymous tell us that, though their gambling binges were periodic, the intervals between were not periods of constructive thinking. Symptomatic of these periods were nervousness, irritability, frustration, indecision and a continued breakdown in personal relationships.

[/ QUOTE ]