Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: TPTP getting scary action

Preflop: raise to t120 here. you need to add one big blind for the limper

Flop: I make it t200 here.

Turn: I think villain has and will call with QJ/KQ/QT here oftern enough to make this a push. Might be a set though. It is indeed close.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:12 PM

The other player was either a donk or Scott Fishman playing with 39o.

Let me give you the thought pattern of a donk(me).

PREFLOP <font color="red"> 55 <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font> </font> I should limp might hit trips. We love hands like Trips. Easy to play almost always win. Decisions are usually fairly easy unless QQ or something hits the board. Stuff like TPTK makes us scared.

RR 3 bb - OK - good pot if I hit trips...he probably has Ax or pair likely have to fold on flop.

Flop - Damn...I finally get trips and no King or Ace.. If I bet 1/2 pot he folds.... I will <font color="red"> 30 </font> mini bet. Get a few dollars at least.
RR to 150.... Great - Hope he doesn't have queens. RR to a random larger, but not too large number without really thinking how big it should be or what it says. 270

Turn - Bet 3/4 pot like the 2+ guys always say...I don't think of why, just do it. Best hand ...big bet.
Damn He folds.....

How much??? Yeah ha!!

I hate to say this, but on bad days or bad moments this is the way I play and many of the SNGs are full of us. We are a mix of having fun, lack of knowledge and the odd bits of logic(based on a lack of knowledge). If you want our money you have to understand us and not analyze us like you are looking at Alan Cunningham or Dumb and Dumber. Most of the players are somewhere in between. A mix of good plays with moronic calls and bets.

Come and get my money…….I am waiting to hit the runner runner fish move and knock you out.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:13 PM

Sometimes a cigar is only a cigar.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:23 PM

I don't understand why you called the R/R on the flop and you fold the turn on a blank. If you weren't planning on calling a turn bet when a blank hits, then you should just fold the flop raise and save that bet.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you called the R/R on the flop and you fold the turn on a blank. If you weren't planning on calling a turn bet when a blank hits, then you should just fold the flop raise and save that bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this for a second, but this isn't true. Your call may induce the villain to check it down and give you a showdown. The min-bet/re-raise may be a bluff. He may have min-bet then thought, "damn that probably looks weak." So when he gets raised, he thinks "well, the thought I was weak, so he could have raised anything...maybe I should re-raise."

Beyond that, he was getting pretty fantastic pot odds to call on the flop. I don't think they are quite so good on the turn.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The other player was either a donk or Scott Fishman playing with 39o.

Let me give you the thought pattern of a donk(me).

PREFLOP <font color="red"> 55 <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font> </font> I should limp might hit trips. We love hands like Trips. Easy to play almost always win. Decisions are usually fairly easy unless QQ or something hits the board. Stuff like TPTK makes us scared.

RR 3 bb - OK - good pot if I hit trips...he probably has Ax or pair likely have to fold on flop.

Flop - Damn...I finally get trips and no King or Ace.. If I bet 1/2 pot he folds.... I will <font color="red"> 30 </font> mini bet. Get a few dollars at least.
RR to 150.... Great - Hope he doesn't have queens. RR to a random larger, but not too large number without really thinking how big it should be or what it says. 270

Turn - Bet 3/4 pot like the 2+ guys always say...I don't think of why, just do it. Best hand ...big bet.
Damn He folds.....

How much??? Yeah ha!!

I hate to say this, but on bad days or bad moments this is the way I play and many of the SNGs are full of us. We are a mix of having fun, lack of knowledge and the odd bits of logic(based on a lack of knowledge). If you want our money you have to understand us and not analyze us like you are looking at Alan Cunningham or Dumb and Dumber. Most of the players are somewhere in between. A mix of good plays with moronic calls and bets.

Come and get my money…….I am waiting to hit the runner runner fish move and knock you out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good post and it is very helpful.

I think the MTT commuity could learn a lot from you and I hope you post more... that said, I sure hope that in the meantime you learn a thing or two from us and never donk minbet a raised pot or *gasp* min 3-bet after that!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:47 PM

Cornell? How about and Guide on "Why Mini-Bets Cause Bankroll Cancer"
Mini Bet Question... I often play tight early and on card dead days when I do hit a flop... and bet, everyone folds.
So sometimes I minibet trying for action??? Better to just CB based on flop/reads? show less, get less action now and set up CB steals later? Guess I am answering my own question.

IS a Mini Bet on the Flop more OK on unraised pots full of limpers?? Try to take it at little risk, fish for info, get action??

PS Thanks(I think) for saying I should post more so the Community can under stand DONKs better. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2007, 03:27 PM

I fold to his flop reraise. This is a typical move by donks that have a strong hand and try to trap you. At least there a lots of donkish players that play this way in ring games with a set. You have time and you have not committed to many chips on the flop, so fold and don't feed him.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:31 PM

Merek if you take this hand as an example. Say you're villain and you've flopped a set. You bet say 200, I'd now raise you to around 600. You could call and then bet another 1/2 pot on the turn or check raise all-in and I'm gonna have a really hard time laying it down due to pot odds and the fact that I've committed a far bigger % of my stack. You're most likely gonna stack me. Because of the min bet I was able to get away from this.
Also what if I had nothing but your min bet gets me to call and happily for me I pick up a flush draw on the turn - you make another small bet and I make my flush on the river, now it's you that gets stacked. You're increasing your risk for not much of a reward.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold to his flop reraise. This is a typical move by donks that have a strong hand and try to trap you. At least there a lots of donkish players that play this way in ring games with a set. You have time and you have not committed to many chips on the flop, so fold and don't feed him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot odds say I gotta call even though it looks highly suspicious. Lets see what he does on the turn.