Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: backing

[ QUOTE ]

500% ROI players don't need staking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure they do. Proof by example: Stu Ungar. He was a 1000%+ ROI tournament player and regularly played on a stake.

2nd proof by example: TJ, back when he was winning everything in sight.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

500% ROI players don't need staking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure they do. Proof by example: Stu Ungar. He was a 1000%+ ROI tournament player and regularly played on a stake.

2nd proof by example: TJ, back when he was winning everything in sight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woopty [censored] doo! I think my statement is 99% accurate.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2+2 should have a sticky or an article on backing. The problems that Thunder Keller's deal with Scott Fishman caused him are illustrative that a young player, no matter how bright, doesn't know the in's and out's of staking deals that veterans have learned through sorry experience.

Personally I would never stake anyone 100%, they would have to have a reasonable amount of their money at risk.

And I don't understand how you get from 2000 in EV to 200 in EV with a 30% tax rate. Shouldn't it be 1400 in EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

well if you win 10k, you get taxed 3k, so you win 7k 60% of time and lose 10k 40% of time which comes out to be 4200 - 4000 = 200.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2+2 should have a sticky or an article on backing. The problems that Thunder Keller's deal with Scott Fishman caused him are illustrative that a young player, no matter how bright, doesn't know the in's and out's of staking deals that veterans have learned through sorry experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone got a link to further details.

And fwiw until Sunday i had a staking agreement with john kane where he got 30% of the profit. If you work it out right, including loopholes like only ending a deal when its in profit for the staker and where there is large confidence in the horse then there is no reason it cant be really profitable whilst having a pretty large offset from what is considered normal.

But generally i agree that you should look at staking arrangments like any other business deal. It took a couple permutations until we came to that final set up but it certainly worked for both of us.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Personally I would never stake anyone 100%, they would have to have a reasonable amount of their money at risk.

And I don't understand how you get from 2000 in EV to 200 in EV with a 30% tax rate. Shouldn't it be 1400 in EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

well if you win 10k, you get taxed 3k, so you win 7k 60% of time and lose 10k 40% of time which comes out to be 4200 - 4000 = 200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you are a winning gambler otherwise, you will be able to deduct the 10k in loses which will save you on taxes. So you win 7k 60% and lose 7k 40% which is 1400EV. If it is a one time deal for someone who wont have any gambling winnings during the year your calc would be right.