Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: $114s Standard Pot Control or Weak?

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1 id raise pf like 90% of the time

postflop is pretty meh, ppl are obviously a lot more likely to call a 3/4 pot bet in a limped pot than they would be if you had raised it. things get kinda sticky on the turn since you now have no idea where you are but i guess i don't hate just calling down

hand 2 i think most villians are shoving ak or at least qq there so he has to be exceptionally tight for me to consider laying it down.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-27-2007, 02:30 PM

Hand 1 - Raise it up with position against two weaker players.

Hand 2 - I haven't fold KK PF in my life...maybe when I get to the 114s I will understand...
Old 02-27-2007, 09:37 PM

Hand 1 - No doubt raise is the standard play here. I just thought it might be ok to play it this way too, given the early stage of the game and the unpredictable villains surrounding me. In the real hand, the button had 9 and 4 of the hearts. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Hand 2 - A call definitely, the reraiser had AA in this particular hand but I had to do it again if the same situation comes. I am still not sure if the villain went through the thought process and tried to represent an 'isolation with AK or lower pair' move or he was just so exited to have the preflop nut and jammed over an all-in.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:49 PM

Whoah. Either I completely misread Hand 2 or you edited it after some people answered. I'm not folding KK preflop.

Ryan
Old 02-27-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whoah. Either I completely misread Hand 2 or you edited it after some people answered. I'm not folding KK preflop.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know how to edit a post without trail, please share with me. Sometimes I really wish I could. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Problem is, he will call my preflop raise like 80% of time (and the stupid button also will cold call frequently enough giving not only MP3 but also the blinds nice pot odds) and I did not want to make myself too committed from the preflop of very first hand with a hand that looks sexy but vulnerable. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't seem right to me.
I like a raise to eliminate the trashy hands and if they insist on paying to come along, well, it's to your +EV not theirs.
And I can see the merits of a call by the folks that like to be trappy and hope to connect with the flop -- which you did (along with all the baggage that goes with that style of play ).
But I don't like a call instead of a raise because you know they'll call a raise 80% of the time. Seems to me you can either take advantage of this kind of knowledge by raising enough to make them pay through the nose or just lay it down preflop if you think it's going to get you in trouble at this early stage of the tournament.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:01 AM

first one raise pf and pot flop. rest of hand looks ok.

second one obv call... maybe provide reads if you want me to say think for two secs and call.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

haha good i was about to make fun of you.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
second one obv call... maybe provide reads if you want me to say think for two secs and call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I thought for at least full 5 seconds before calling with a shrug. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]