Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Re: FTP\'s 35k: JJ OOP w/ aggro villians behind....

Cornell, I'm glad you agree with me. Yes, I think a stop&go would also be bad, I just threw out the idea to generate discussion.

Not to be corny, but my idea for this hand came from a way Doyle played 77 UTG in a WSOP ME a few years back a/g Scott Fischman's AK on the button, exactly the same way. I think given the time of the tourne (approaching bubble), this was a good place for this play because often a limp, or a few limpers, will generate some LP aggression.

Plus, with a standard raise in EP, a tricky player could easily flat-call in LP and we may get outplayed on a funky flop....
Old 02-26-2007, 11:46 PM

Okay here's the next part, if you were the villian what would you call hero's shove with? Keep in mind that although hero/villian have not yet played a pot, hero has opened the pot several times in LP and won pots uncontested, he's folded a few times to shoves (re-steals probably?) from the blinds...
Old 02-26-2007, 11:54 PM

Here is a hand where I advocated limp raising TT UTG in a WPT event. The hand ended up getting limped around but if I remember correctly there was some decent discussion on limp raising mid pairs 15-20bbs deep. There were definitely good players disagreeing with me but I definitely feel that the limp-shove is optimal here.

TT UTG at WPT Niagra Main Event

In that thread I was pointed to a Sklansky thread discussing the same topic

Sklansky thread on TT UTG with 20bb stacks
Old 02-27-2007, 01:20 AM

Interesting discussion, thanks for the link Cornell. This discussion seems to be fizzling out so I'll post the results: villian ended up calling with AKs and hero lost the race. I felt absolutely fine with the shove though. Thank you for your input
Old 02-27-2007, 01:34 AM

Does the play change if we know villian is more/less likely to call us with a wider/narrower range? For example, if we know he'll always call with AK then...?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the play change if we know villian is more/less likely to call us with a wider/narrower range? For example, if we know he'll always call with AK then...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Still a shove. Being a 57/43 favorite is not a small edge. You want to take that flip every time. Obviously you have no idea that he has AK and not 99, you are still being very results oriented.

You also don't know if he is raising with AK,TT, AT, or JQs. Are you going to let him take the pot away from you every time that that a Q/K/A falls? Are you going to let him off the hook every time he has pocket 88 and instead of stacking him preflop he gets away from his hand for the minimum?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:39 PM

i was the villian in this hand. just saw this thread though. i think i called this didnt i?

pretty sure at this point i'm not raising light.