Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 04:39 AM

Default Re: WPX 4 handed versus Kaija 30/60

[ QUOTE ]
though he went to four preflop with Q3o in the recent past and I felt I needed to reciprocate the pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

When a loose passive player limps UTG, do you feel the need to reciprocate the looseness? When a bad player makes a foolish calldown, do you feel the need to reciprocate his naive optomism?

I think your first problem is not understanding that a person playing a 60/40 style before the flop is theoretically very exploitable. In particular, you are not thinking about how to exploit him.

If he's catching cards, he is going to win in the short run. Give him chances to bluff off his money. Make some light calldowns. Wait until the turn or river to raise some of your top pair hands on non vulnerable boards. Play some of your made hands on drawy boards and some of your draws passively.

This guy is basically offering you his chips once you make a hand. Why are you trying to outaggress him if he is overaggressive and is never folding a piece?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:06 AM

dd he is firing flop and turn unimproved like every time. why try to dissuade this?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:37 AM

Its close I think between to cap and call... id probably cap
Cap pre flop check behind flop accomplishes the same as Victors suggested line and makes him even more inclined to bluff on turn and river because players like this often see a flop check as a sign that you've given up. Then when you do fire you then get to choose a situation where you can invite more wanted action. The flip side is the first raise on the flop usually gets less respect and he may 3 barrel you on an Axx flop cause you didnt cap..

irrelevant really as long as you don't fold too much post flop
Old 02-26-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dd he is firing flop and turn unimproved like every time. why try to dissuade this?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the hand in this post is a decent example of his standard play, he might CR bluff the flop and keep firing anyway. We get a guaranteed small bet in preflop when we are ahead of his range, and he might go off for a ton of bets anyway. I agree with what you are saying about not wanting to stop him from spewing, but answer this...would you play AA this way? Just call and call the flop/turn and maybe raise turn or river? I think the answer is no, you would cap and try and hope he goes crazy after the flop anyway. I'm just saying I'd do the same thing with weaker hands like ATs.

-DeathDonkey
Old 02-26-2007, 04:28 PM

we should have a DD is right about spewing account
Old 02-26-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you should be playing pretty close to the zeroeth level in deciding how many bets should go in after the flop and whether you want to see a showdown or not, and thinking on the first level when it comes to exactly where to put your bets and raises in.

[/ QUOTE ]

See I feel like I'm in this rut lately where I turn into sort of a zero-level player and do a lot of calling down and raising at more or less the "right" times against these LAGs. I feel like even some fairly moronic opponents catch on before long and soon I'm getting value-bet to death.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:46 PM

Not capping preflop vs guys like kaija in position is lol. he 3 bets more hands than i open.
Cap pf for value. I think you should check this flop and get to showdown since he has been running you over. I wouldn't 3 bet this river unless you wanna fold to a cap, and since our objective is to get to showdown vs kaija... just call the c/r. I also wouldn't raise the turn. What if he 3 bets you?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:06 AM

"Cap pf for value. I think you should check this flop and get to showdown"

is he really that dumb that he wont immediately put you on ax and valuetown ur ass with any pair? i always laugh at ppl who take this line with me bc its like the most transparent play in poker.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

is he really that dumb that he wont immediately put you on ax and valuetown ur ass with any pair? i always laugh at ppl who take this line with me bc its like the most transparent play in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
he will valuetown your ass... but a lot of the time they fire any 2 for 2 streets...
plus when he c/r teh flop with a pair you lose more than checking... and he c/r a pair 80% of the time.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a spot where i think you can vary your play. Often, some of the dumber players will put you on Ax, know that you don't have a pair, and will fire 2 barrels without really thinking. This definitly does happen sometimes. The flop is interesting because Kaija will c/r a ton of non bluff hands and get too much value if we are bent on showing down. I don't know exactly what range he c/r this flop with, but it's like 2x as wide as most people. For this reason, you often save 1-2 SB's on the flop which can be used as a buffer later in the hand to showdown. You also would get to see the river card basically all the time whereas if the turn blanks off after he c/r you, it's tough to know where you are at. I'm not saying betting is wrong of course, but this is definitley a spot to vary your play.

As for the river, i would generally call i think. If we are winning, he has exactly Ax, which is less consistent with the the action than most other holdings where he would c/r the flop for value or to generate folds on later streets. With Ax he is more likely to showdown cheaply postflop than other stuff. Given that, and that he did not 3 bet the turn, i just expect him to show up with QJ or maaaaybe AK a lot here. If you do 3 bet, you have to be able to fold to 4 cuz u are literally never good if the river goes 4 bets. I want to showdown, and i think he has air or has us beat too often to make a 3 bet ok.