Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2006, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Sad Day for Players

I agreed with you at first, but this is one situation where the benefit is rather subtle. We already have all the people online who are willing to put money on anoffshore pokersite. This program wouldn't eliminate offshore sites, but rather open a new market where people could feel secure that their money was in a US bank.

As far as IRS is concerned, I pay taxes and am finding lots of old timers who got out of the system over the years would be happy to get back into the system even if it means paying some taxes. The main problem for most people has been how unfair it is to have to pay taxes even when you lose in some situations. This bill would eliminate that problem, and even make it easier to keep track for winning players.

The final Plus, IMO is the likelihood that money would be kept in a US bank, and could be moved from site to site instantly. Your bankroll would not be at risk for sites that go bump in the night.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:29 PM

Speaking a bit more generally, the online gaming industry really should try to get some sort of a lobby together.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:42 PM

I live in North Dakota. If this ever got on the ballot it wouldn't even come close to passing. We just finally got the lotto a year or so ago. It had failed several times before on the ballot.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:04 PM

Eder,

I respect your posts, but I think you are off-sides on this one. I met Mr. Kaspar in October and spoke on a gaming conference panel with him. He strikes me as very sincere and straight-forward on this issue.

(I happen to disagree with his approach, but do not question his honesty and sincerity.)

You might do a bit of research into his last effort, who testified, et cetera, and you could figure out pretty quickly who was backing the first effort in North Dakota.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:18 AM

Ya - I'm gonna have to agree with TPCEO on this. I happend to be in ND on business last March and the hotel I stayed at in Bismarck happend to be hosting a conferance supporting Kaspers bill.
ND Poker Bill

I stopped in as everybody was welcome. Just some of the people I met were Lee Jones, Greg Raymer, Mrs Allyn Jaffrey Shulman. The online poker sites that had representation there included Pokerstars, Paradise and Pacific.
The story was that if the bill that was passed by ND congress had passed by the senate, some of these poker sites would consider relocating their servers to ND.
They made progress for the US and online poker.

I got a free autographed copy of WLLH and Barry Shulmans book and a Stars tee shirt. They were running a few 1 table sit-n-go tournys play chips of course. There was lots of free booze too.