Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: The Seven Stud Forum & Freedom Of Speech

[ QUOTE ]
So Men start another. Remeber the "Freedom" thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The forum is taking an interest in all this and apparently I am winning no friends. You want to ask yourself if you are.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:30 PM

This is a private forum. There is no "freedom of speech." I give you guys a pretty free reign, because you guys are reasonably well-behaved for the most part.

No penalties have been dished out. I don't anticipate that any will, either.

I suppose that it is possible for a winning player to have a 300 BB downswing. Hasn't happened to me, but I mostly play live and rarely play more than two tables online. Anyway, while it's possible, it is likely that a person experiencing such a downswing isn't playing very well.

You claim that you don't tilt. I maintain that this simply isn't possible. The manifestations of tilt are usually much more subtle than throwing your mouse at the wall. If doing things "against my better judgment" isn't tilt, I don't know what is. I recommend John Feeney's book for an excellent discussion of tilt (and other topics).

People got abusive because you were dismissive of some legitimate advice. You reap what you sow.

Look, for the most part, people are trying to help. You're not making it easy.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:30 PM

Where is that Al, where you have explained the "going against your better Judgement" statement and how that makes you a better player. Explain here and I'll go away. Forever.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a private forum. There is no "freedom of speech." I give you guys a pretty free reign, because you guys are reasonably well-behaved for the most part.

No penalties have been dished out. I don't anticipate that any will, either.

I suppose that it is possible for a winning player to have a 300 BB downswing. Hasn't happened to me, but I mostly play live and rarely play more than two tables online. Anyway, while it's possible, it is likely that a person experiencing such a downswing isn't playing very well.

You claim that you don't tilt. I maintain that this simply isn't possible. The manifestations of tilt are usually much more subtle than throwing your mouse at the wall. If doing things "against my better judgment" isn't tilt, I don't know what is. I recommend John Feeney's book for an excellent discussion of tilt (and other topics).

People got abusive because you were dismissive of some legitimate advice. You reap what you sow.

Look, for the most part, people are trying to help. You're not making it easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post is much appreciated. Many of the posts have not adopted such a balanced tone. It is possible to disagree with diplomacy. I feel my big mistake was in responding in kind to many of the posters who were sarcastic and/or abusive. Moreover, I take people at their word. I do not go into psychoanalysis and try to convince them that somehow they are guilty of things they deny as many posters have tried to do. That I feel is fundamentally disrespectful. As for the Feeney book I have read it. It is very good and his discussion on 'microtilt' (which I would readily admit to) is worthwhile and IMHO a major contribution to our understanding of tilt. I am not going to go into any of the arguments already presented. It just goes to show that reason itself cannot resolve disputes where the very facts presented as evidence are disputed.

Thanks again for the post Andy.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:59 PM

this isn't your private blog but you are treating it that way.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:04 PM

"This post is much appreciated. Many of the posts have not adopted such a balanced tone. It is possible to disagree with diplomacy. I feel my big mistake was in responding in kind to many of the posters who were sarcastic and/or abusive. Moreover, I take people at their word. I do not go into psychoanalysis and try to convince them that somehow they are guilty of things they deny as many posters have tried to do. That I feel is fundamentally disrespectful. As for the Feeney book I have read it. It is very good and his discussion on 'microtilt' (which I would readily admit to) is worthwhile and IMHO a major contribution to our understanding of tilt. I am not going to go into any of the arguments already presented. It just goes to show that reason itself cannot resolve disputes where the very facts presented as evidence are disputed."

WOW

Just for my own peace of mind, do you consider me "sarcastic and/or abusive" or helpful.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thread was hijacked and locked too. Sucks, I was actually getting some good info as far as how to handle it. Oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you start a thread it is no longer "yours", its public domain. hijacking is a part of that process and it happens often. You can always start another new thread if it becomes problematic.

PS: the 2+2 forums does not practice free speech, the forums are slightly moderated /censored. 2+2 is a private company, and therefore reserves the right to control the comments made on the forum.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do have anything but your negativity? If it does not belong to me then it does not belong to you either...
Old 02-25-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a good point. In some forums (such as the forum I moderate B&M), we lock threads when the post treats the forum like his or her private blog. I've even given a few days time out for that in the past. Strategy forums seem to give more leeway since its much rarer. Although I think Al has a lot of good things to say and communicate to the forum, he too often takes it from the self POV - which is not conducive to conversation. - this is positive feedback, I'm not trying to come down on Al by stating this, just help.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This post is much appreciated. Many of the posts have not adopted such a balanced tone. It is possible to disagree with diplomacy. I feel my big mistake was in responding in kind to many of the posters who were sarcastic and/or abusive. Moreover, I take people at their word. I do not go into psychoanalysis and try to convince them that somehow they are guilty of things they deny as many posters have tried to do. That I feel is fundamentally disrespectful. As for the Feeney book I have read it. It is very good and his discussion on 'microtilt' (which I would readily admit to) is worthwhile and IMHO a major contribution to our understanding of tilt. I am not going to go into any of the arguments already presented. It just goes to show that reason itself cannot resolve disputes where the very facts presented as evidence are disputed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember reading about a study done concerning emails and peoples responses to them. I think it is relevant here as this form of communication is similar. The conclusion of the study was that people often got the wrong message from email com. The sender would say something but not mean it in a bad or condesending tone, but the person reading the message would take it that way. Mainly due to how they were feeling, or the frame of mind that they were in at the time of reading the message. I am sure that we have all observed this. The study theorized that the reason for misunderstandings is that a portion of communication is non-verbal. We hear the words, but we also hear the tones and inflections of the voice. As well as the bodily postures of the speaker to be able to determin what the speakers meanings are. With this medium we do not have these markers, and we tend to subconsiously put them in. Sometimes leading to incorrect conclusions.

The point is to think about what you read before firing off an angry retort. If you are angered by a post give yourself some time to cool of before you post a response. Maybe, when you are in a different frame of mind, you will not feel the need to reply to a message or will have a more tempered response.