Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 01:18 AM

Default Re: hidden aces

Third is good. I don't think that there's anything wrong with the check-raise on fourth per se, but I think your thinking behind it is flawed. There are two players between the hearts and you. They called a full bet on third, so presumably they'll call a bet on fourth. Having called one bet, they're probably not going to fold for one more bet after you raise. If the hearts guy was to your immediate right, then you could expect to knock people out with a double bet. I think you played fifth through seventh right.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
on 6th street the pair of aces is still the favorite to one pair and a flush draw so it needs to be bet. bet when the advantage is yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you could see his cards betting is certainly the right play.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can see his cards.

He is playing a dead Q and made a semi-dead 7 on 6th. How does this 7 change who is ahead in this hand? The aces are ahead close to 100% of the time here.

Bet.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:43 AM

Why would you check on 6th? Pair vs pair has the aces as a big favorite; he will improve less than 1/3 of the time and you'll improve simultaneously at times too.
If he has a flush draw you're winning about 4/5 of the time.
Also, if he'll bet two pair after you check, you have to call, so you may as well bet and get a call from one pair.
Betting when you have the higher pair against a weak board is fairly basic (and profitable).

You're quite right about 4th and 7th however.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:50 AM

Even if I let him take a free card, I will punish him on 5 street when the bets are doubled more than I could on 4 street. So I decided to checkraise and if I accidentally give a free card, it is not the end of the world.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if I let him take a free card, I will punish him on 5 street when the bets are doubled more than I could on 4 street. So I decided to checkraise and if I accidentally give a free card, it is not the end of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think the better line is brute force in these low games. You raised 3rd so bet 4th....they may all call but you may lose one or 2 and you get money in with the probable best hand. Now when you fire again on 5th all the hangers on who peeled after bricking 4th with their low pairs will hopefully drop, realizing you have something here. You get the most money in and a similar result as going for the fancy play. Given the 3rd street action and the typical passive play at these stakes, I dont think you can count on someone betting your hand for you....also, if anything, your check-raise will normally tie people to the pot, not knock them out which is what you want.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if I let him take a free card, it is not the end of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it is.

In any given hand one must strive to make decisions that can help them win the pot and not make decisions that can help them lose the pot. Your decision to slowplay aces into a large field without trying to narrow the field is a decision that can cause you the pot. It is (and please note the capitals) A HORRIBLE DECISION AND PLAY. It is not a winning play in this situation.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:54 PM

Just bet fourth. Other than that it is fine. I might bet/fold 7th.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:54 PM

i'de check on 6th because its not out of the question he's got 2 pair

if the guy has a pair and a flush draw, he'll probably bet, so the money's going in anyway, but at least i'm not exposing myself to a raise where i'll have to put more money in as an underdog.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played fifth through seventh right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I check 6th.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:40 PM

If we give the other guy a flush draw, he must specifically the 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the hole in order to have so much as a pair. Even if he does have a pair, we're about a 3:2 favorite. I don't think checking would be horrible, but I do think betting is better.