Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Plz help me pick the right stakes to play

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sry, I know this post is lame, but I know almost nothing about live play. I'm going to Vegas this Saturday, n I just wanna have some idea of what stakes i should shoot for.

I play 2/4NL and 3/6NL heads up games online.

A) I have very limited live experience.
B) I have very limited experience playing with more than 5 opponents.

Given these, I prolly shouldn't just jump into higher stakes, but at the same time, I don't really want to grind lame stakes.

Also, I'm only willing to lose 2 grand...but I mean obviously I'm asking this with the intention of figuring out stakes that I'd have a good chance at winning at.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is how deep do you normally play when you play either 2/4NL or 3/6NL online..in either case judging that you only have 2000(you are willing to lose) i wouldnt go above 2/5NL until you had around 15k. I highly recommend you reading some of the threads about bankroll management though because it suprises me you are playin 2/4 and 3/6 online heads up with only 2k to lose....generally speaking you should have 20-30 max buyins at whatever stakes you play, which at 2/4 - 3/6 would be around 10k.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't be an idiot. i'm quite sure he's talking about how much he's willing to lose on the trip, not his bankroll for poker in general.

if you can beat 2/4 or 3/6nl online, you should be fine in general for most live 5/10nl games. but since you don't have much fullring experience, i would start at 2/5nl, but if you start to feel more comfortable or go on a run i'm sure you'll do fine at 5/10
Old 02-22-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sry, I know this post is lame, but I know almost nothing about live play. I'm going to Vegas this Saturday, n I just wanna have some idea of what stakes i should shoot for.

I play 2/4NL and 3/6NL heads up games online.

A) I have very limited live experience.
B) I have very limited experience playing with more than 5 opponents.

Given these, I prolly shouldn't just jump into higher stakes, but at the same time, I don't really want to grind lame stakes.

Also, I'm only willing to lose 2 grand...but I mean obviously I'm asking this with the intention of figuring out stakes that I'd have a good chance at winning at.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is how deep do you normally play when you play either 2/4NL or 3/6NL online..in either case judging that you only have 2000(you are willing to lose) i wouldnt go above 2/5NL until you had around 15k. I highly recommend you reading some of the threads about bankroll management though because it suprises me you are playin 2/4 and 3/6 online heads up with only 2k to lose....generally speaking you should have 20-30 max buyins at whatever stakes you play, which at 2/4 - 3/6 would be around 10k.

[/ QUOTE ]

ohhh well i've made a lot online...i just don't wanna lose more than 2k to gambling on this trip.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:54 PM

alright thanks for the responses everyone...i actually only expected to get 1 or 2 since this is such a lame post.

ok so i actually think i'm gonna start playing 2/5 as i don't think i'd have much fun in a 1/2 game. the big question is whether i'll play 5/10. but at least i know where to start now.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok so i actually think i'm gonna start playing 2/5 as i don't think i'd have much fun in a 1/2 game. the big question is whether i'll play 5/10. but at least i know where to start now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't assume you "won't have as much fun in a 1/2 game". You could sit down at a real juicy game.

The 1/2 table I sat down at in Foxwoods on Sunday was nuts. Guys were "straddling" (is that what its called) practically every hand. Then the maniacs were blind raising the straddle to $8 every other hand. So a limp bet on that hand would be $8 bucks.

The table basically played like a 2/5 game. It was crazy.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:11 PM

I'd play 1/2 until the FR thing is going OK for you and to get some B&M experience (since newbie mistakes annoy higher limit players), and then move up to 2/5.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you are a mid stakes winner.

Go sit the 2/5 no cap at the Wynn for a short session until you get a feel for it then head over to the Bell and sit the 5/10. You will be fine, just relax and be yourself. Pass on the 5/10 at the Wynn unless it is not the biggest game running.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:39 PM

There's nothing wrong with starting at 1/2 to get used to live ring play. You can fumble your chips and hold your cards wrong and forget to tip and probably nobody will pounce on you while you get your bearings. Also, every poker room has 1/2 or 1/3. Then you can move up whenever you want.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:08 PM

if it's a question of playing something like the wynn 1/3 uncapped with 500 or playing the wynn 2/5 with 500, i actually think it'd be easier for OP to get adjusted to fullring play sitting at the 2/5 with slightly shallower stacks, and if OP thinks there's a good chance he'd play 5/10, 2/5 is really the better starting place IMO, especially if he won't be playing the 5/10 very deep if he's only willing to risk 2k on the trip.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd look at max buy-ins also. You might be right re: 1-2 if the max buy is $100 to $200 (Imperial Palace, MGM, Luxor, Excalibur, etc). Lots of small stack poker w/ many people buying for < max.

But other places (Wynn, Casaer's, Bellagio) offer min $200 up to $500 max buy. Bellagio is $2-5 blinds but that is the lowest game they offer so it'll play equivalent to $1-2.

As another poster suggested, you can start w/ $2-5 or 500 max. If it goes poorly, you may have to grind back up w/ $200 max. Your $2k should last a Vegas weekend if you're a decent player.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
alright thanks for the responses everyone...i actually only expected to get 1 or 2 since this is such a lame post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,
I was confused in your initial post, but since you clarified by sayin that 2k is not your entire roll but just how much you are bringing for trip then I would definetly recommend playin 2/5NL game which usually has max buy-in around $500 so this would allow for 4 buyins which is good. I wouldnt recommend sitting down at 5/10NL unless you have atleast 3 maxbuyins or about ~4k, keep in mind the avg chip stack in 5/10NL live game is a little over 1k....as you know anything can happen in short run.