Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: top pair with good kicker vs trips, how do i protect myself?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It DEPENDS on your "M".

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no "M" in baseball and there is no "M" in "6 man sit no go"

[/ QUOTE ]
The OP mensioned a MTT he played in recently. I was assuming he wanted a general answer about playing TPTK.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:18 PM

This is something that cost me moeny to understand... As a general rule you should avoid calling all in with top pair!!!
Why? well think about it... the flop is 3 6 J
He called a preflop raise... so 36;3J,J6 is not that likely ofcourse a maniac could still play them... but going all in??? what will someone go all-in with here: 33;66,JJ,QQ,KK;AA; KJ QJ maybe from a very loose player so from these hands you can only beat KJ or QJ... people dont usually go all-in with the most obvious holding whcih is usually TPTK... there is always something hidden that you don't expect... Conclusion (don't call all-in with TPTK unless your short stacked)
Old 02-23-2007, 05:23 AM

You might consider villain a maniac, but how many times does he move all in post flop? There are some very good players that might seem like maniacs, playing very aggressively pf and on the flop, but when they get all the money they either have a big hand or a monster draw.

If I've seen villain call or move all in with tp low kicker, or middle pair then you have to call here in a tourney with a fast blind structure or a cash game. In a sng I gotta have something bigger the tptk to call off all my chips in the first 3 levels, however if it's the 4th level (50/100) then I'm gonna have a hard time getting away from tptk, which might be the case if you've played 40 hands. Also bet 1/2 the pot on this flop which is as dry as it gets, it gives you the same result as a pot sized bet and allows you a chance to get away from your hand.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:58 AM

The only way to get away from top pair, top kicker is to know your opponents. If they are a rock, escape. What hands can A,J beat here that he would be willing to go all=in with?