Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Advice on micro-grinding

Thanks again everyone. I played for 2 hours last night at the .05/10 NL table and profited $19.30. I kept track and out of the 98 hands dealt, I played 16 of them so I saw 16% of the flops. I feel like this is a bit high but I was running very hot and the cards justified that high a flop percentage. I'm feeling comfortable and am enjoying the game. I'll continue to read the forums every day and keep learning! BR is $72.30 for the time being.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:08 PM

If you're uncomfortable playing deep then by all means leave and join another game. You won't learn much about playing deep NL holdem, (where the real money is,) but you'll win money.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:24 PM

For the record, whereas I advocate short-stacking to learn, I also advocate staying and practicing deep stack play after you've doubled up. I'm assuming the eventual goal is to learn NLHE better, and there's no better time to get the practice than with money that used to belong to someone else. That said, if you still feel weak on the preflop concepts then all the points I've made about gradualism still apply and you might be better off moving to a new table and buying in short again.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:51 PM

My post flop play isn't strong right now. I don't think there is an easy fix for this other than reading other posts and playing a ton more hands to get the experience to handle different situations. One thing I have seen a lot of is the 'eagerness' of some players at the microlimits to push all their chips in on a 50/50 (53/47) chance they'll hit. AK vs 88, etc. I've tried to adjust to this but honestly its the toughest thing I've experienced so far. I'm folding a lot of hands KQ, AJ, A10, etc., to these bets preflop to avoid the swings. I hate the feeling that I'm taking it seriously and then some donk sits down and could care less and starts hitting bottom 2 pair on every flop. I either fold or raise preflop, I rarely play out of position, and I take each hand seriously. I hope I can move up in a few months and get away from some of the jokers on Full Tilt. Thanks fellas.