Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Poker on a Mac

Pokerstars is going to release a full Mac version in a few months. It should have all the same features as the PC version.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:44 PM

For those that have a Mac. How is the iMac? To me it seems like a cheap (quality not price) computer made of laptop parts. But the only other desktop option is the Mac Pro which is outrageously expensive compared to similar PC's. And why is it that the only option with the Mac Pro is to have two dual core processors? For most people, one would be enough I would think.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:58 PM

You are forgetting the Mac Mini. Also, I'm not sure why you question the quality of the iMac. Mac's in general may be overpriced, but you do get quality with your purchase. Also the screen sizes and quality of the image on the iMac, pretty much blows away any laptop.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:08 AM

Parallels is great- I use it on my Macbook Pro to do a bunch of things, one of which being Absolute. If you run it on a notebook I'd definitely recommend you upgrade your RAM to at least 2GB though, since you have to allocate a chunk of the RAM to Windows. I found it to be a little clunky with only 1GB total, which translated to a max of ~600MB for XP.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:43 AM

I have been playing on a iMac exclusively for a year. I have been using bootcamp until today. I upgraded my ram to 2gb and gave vmware fusion a shot. I haven't tried poker with parallels yet.

I tried 5 tabling full tilt and everything ran well. I will install PT and PHUD tomorrow and see how well that performs in a VM.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:52 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't iMacs and all other all-in-one desktops use laptop parts which are far inferior to desktop components?
Old 02-24-2007, 11:55 AM

Also, does the iMac have VGA or DVI output so that I could hook up an extra monitor to it?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:17 PM

DVI. I have a 20" regular screen hooked up to my iMac(1600x1200). The imac is plenty fast, core duo, 7200 RPM drive, decent video card. I can play all the latest games, in bootcamp.

I would upgrade to 2GB of ram if you want to use a VM for playing poker though.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't iMacs and all other all-in-one desktops use laptop parts which are far inferior to desktop components?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can upgrade the chip, ram, hard drive, video processor, optical drive and monitor. You can check here for the specs:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...&nclm=iMac
Old 02-24-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those that have a Mac. How is the iMac? To me it seems like a cheap (quality not price) computer made of laptop parts. But the only other desktop option is the Mac Pro which is outrageously expensive compared to similar PC's. And why is it that the only option with the Mac Pro is to have two dual core processors? For most people, one would be enough I would think.

[/ QUOTE ]

My iMac is STELLAR. I have the 24" with all the upgrades and I'm told it's supposed to be really closed to the Mac Pro or whatever quality. Unbelievably sleek machine. Gotta love it. The best quality computer I've owned for sure I don't think you'll regret a purchase.