Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 02:10 AM

Default Re: HELP MEEEEEEEEEE!

For us B&M players its easier to manage tilt, or at least so I think. Bring X buyins for your game. If you go on monkey tilt and you lose X buyins you leave. Don't bring the ATM card. Simple.

For me that is usually 3-4 buyins. I've only left completely busted 2 times in 6 months. (About 50 sessions.) Both times I was on mega, going to kill someone, punching holes in walls tilt.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:36 AM

I'm a little confused messiahkid, what about loss limits is so ridiculous? I know the limits I was willing to lose are super tight, but that's cause as a new player I was so prone to becoming emotionally charged after losing money. I could just as easily have decided that my personal rule for stopping would = throwing my mouse through my monitor, but that's definitely a more expensive place to stop.

Surely you use loss limits to control bankroll risk, why not emotional risks too when you are starting out? I was pretty clear that I was only using my personal rules as an example and that everyone needs to find rules that allow them to play at their best. Whatever the case, for new players I will continue to advocate loss limits both for bankroll management and for emotional checks. If you disagree, please tell us why.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:33 AM

Ill add my 2c in to the discussion. I play only mtts, so cant really comment about swingdocs particular stop losses.

Swingdoc made 2 points, one I fully agree with, and the other I fully disagree with.

He had stop losses, which are a good idea. Yes, we can get busted aa by 22 all night, set over set, and we should still be playing (in theory if the game is good, and we play our A game)

HOWEVER, during almost all downswings, we are on tilt, either major, or subtle, and not aware of it. We are calling when we should be raising or folding, and probably giving off more tells than usual.

Thus, its a bit of a forced tilt stopper by proxy, an outside force managing our emotions that we are in denial about at the time.

[ QUOTE ]
Hello, first post.
I agree with both sides of the argument... I recently read a good Mike Caro article in which he talks about how he disagrees with stop loss systems. His solution is to not quit when you lose a certain ammount, but to quit when you see your play begin to go bad. However for some non-pros its not that easy to identify bad play, or one may not realize they're steaming until they make a bad play for all of their chips. Anyways, I think it varies from person to person, for some it may be best to set up some sort of stopping ammount, while others who understand the variation in poker may be able to continue to play correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome noob! This is without doubt the best post i have see n from a noob in a vvvvv long time.

Basically, when we are winning, we are
i) prolly playing our A game
ii) people are afraid of us, so our bluffs and semibluffs have much more fe.
iii) we are prolly in a good game

So wtf would we want to stop? Answer- because its time to go home, or eat, or take a leak!

If you are playing poker for $ (and we all are) then you effectively have a hobby/job that you earn x$ per hour. If you want to earn more, you have to play more hours, or somehow win more bb/100hands, or move up (with all the problems that entails!)

Thus, if you play for 8 hours a day, you will earn 4 times as much as if you play for 2 hours a day.

Now, do we want to play for longer in good games, or bad games?

Bloody obvious question isnt it? So Ill repeat it again and again

We want to keep playing in games that are good (that we are usually winning, or seeing other players making mistakes that we got sucked out on)

And play less in bad ones. WIth tough tag players, who always raise or fold, or have odds to punish you.

Mason has some great stuff in his book.

Basically, he says to forget about the results, and try to think about your hourly rate, and ASSESS the game you are in.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have extremely strict limits set on my play. Here are my rules for playing .5/1:

If I lose 200 dollars in one day then I am done for the day.
If I lose 100 dollars on a single hand then I am done for the day.
If i lose 500 dollars in one week then I am done for the week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not agree with stop-loss limits, if and only if you are in a good game, as for a bad game well get the hell out of it immediately.

Your rules are interesting. How would you lose $100 in a single hand at .5/1? That is 100 bb from just your contribution to the pot. The biggest pot i have ever won in terms of big bets at limit poker contained 41 bb.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:35 AM

I assumed he is talking .5/1 NL
Old 02-21-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I assumed he is talking .5/1 NL

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. That thought had not occurred to me.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:06 PM

Ooops, yes, .5/1NL is what I meant. I can certainly understand your confusion there, but to be honest simply sitting at a limit table is enough to put me on tilt, so I try to avoid that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2007, 02:39 PM

standard for players moving up in stakes, if it affects you this much your playing for too much money that you care about, even if rolled you need to be comfortable at your level which it appears your not. Maybe move down til you have an even larger roll.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:44 AM

Just read your OP again, and i am quite disturbed.

You had half your BANKROLL on the felt?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????

To be adequately rolled, you need what, 30 buy ins? It sounds like your entire roll is one or two buy ins, which everyone will agree is absolute financial suicide (unless you can afford the cash, but just dont respect it!)
Old 02-22-2007, 12:07 PM

You have to go broke once then you'll never do it again! Make sure you take that time when you're broke to really enjoy the basics of life and vow never to be broke again!! ! !! !