Old 02-10-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Re: tutoring

[ QUOTE ]
is not a single valued function

[/ QUOTE ]

ARe there any other kind?
Old 02-10-2006, 05:22 PM

No, but your statement that sqrt(x^2) = abs(x) can't be right if one of them isn't a function at all can it? My statement that sqrt(x^2) = x is also wrong for the same reason.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:25 PM

Old 02-10-2006, 05:27 PM

man,

I am not a teacher, but I have taught a boatload of training courses for the various companies I have worked.

Whenever someone who has the desire to learn is struggling, you have to help them get through the frustration of not 'getting it.' That kid probably isn't stupid, he's just frustrated that he can't understand what is obviously an easy concept for you to explain.

You have to identify concepts where he has a solid understanding and try to make correlations to the new concept. People learn by different methods, but the ability to reconcile a new concept with past experience is one in which most people excel.

Good luck teaching in high school. Just remember that 80+% of the people in college actually want to learn something. In high school, that number will be much lower [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2006, 05:29 PM

OP:

Do you know the difference between Types of Learners? It's kind of a silly and unscientific distinction, but I've found that if a kid doesn't get something in a visual description, he might easily understand a written or spoken explanation, or he might have to physically enact the problem himself in order to get it. ( Somewhat Helpful ) Just be patient, and it helps to make jokes about how it must be YOU screwing up the explanation...putting pressure on a kid heads-up can just make him choke more. BUT you also should try and get him to do most of the talking...have him explain things to you once he says, "I get it." I'm not a math teacher, so these may not apply.

Also, if the tutee is a hot chick try popping her collar for her...if she responds favorably, add n to x, if you know what I'm saying.
--GA
Old 02-10-2006, 07:01 PM

One strategy I find works well when I tutor is to ask the kid to explain it to you. Then when they get confused or don't know how to explain it you know what areas they are having trouble with. This works well for basic science and math. I don't know how it will fair in more difficult problems.

Like other people mentioned in this thread, it is good to start simple, and then just gradually add on to it until it becomes more complex.

Your kids are lucky to have such a caring tutor. Good luck Man
Old 02-10-2006, 08:01 PM

thanks all. this is really helpful. until this point I've been going on nothing but intuition.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if the tutee is a hot chick try popping her collar for her...if she responds favorably, add n to x, if you know what I'm saying.
--GA

[/ QUOTE ]
but my overpowering sexuality could kill her!
Old 02-10-2006, 08:11 PM

I always used to try to use a very elementary example. Math is intimidating for a lot of people and you just have to break down the barriers they put up themselves.

For the ln(e^x)=x case, I would use the example of how log 100 = 2, log 1000 = 3, etc... That he should understand. Now explain how ln is just log with a base of 'e'. It should now be fairly easy for him to see that that ln(e^x)=x.

That's at least what I always went with when I was in your position back when.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:33 AM

Dude, I've been teaching for 6 years, but I find tutoring far more rewarding. Use the suggestions in this thread, and more than anything, GO THE EXTRA MILE. Every time you want to throw in the towel, remember: These people need your help. Do everything it takes. Never give up. You will gain as much from the experience as they do.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:47 AM

I'm in my 4th year of teaching high school math, so I'm by no means a seasoned professional. But as a public school teacher, you'll fail kids. That isn't even a question. The only question is how many.

Often times it's not your or the student's fault. Sometimes the student's brain is just not mathematically mature enough for certain concepts. Sometimes certain students and teachers just don't mix. I've failed plenty of kids who went on to get high grades with other teachers, and also vice versa.

Sometimes the kids I fail are really hard workers. It breaks my heart to give them the same grade as some knucklehead who does absolutely nothing, but that's just what has to be done. If you pass a hard-working kid out of pity, he'll just be in more trouble in the next level math class.

There's an old saying that my mentor teacher my first year told me, and that is that in a class of 30 students, about 5 will probably fail no matter who's the teacher, and 5 will ace the class no matter who's the teacher. You need to focus most on those other 20.