Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Dubai = Greatest City in The World?

When it comes to determing which is the greatest city in the world, infastructure and architecture aren't nearly as important as the ready availability of burrito-reheating information.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:46 PM

Vegas?
Old 02-17-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Future Overhead

[/ QUOTE ]

While this may look "neat", can you comprehend on just how much money is being completely blown on this? We're talking end poverty in the world forever money.

Glad to see that Dubai and all those rich oil people are trying to make the world a better place...

[/ QUOTE ]How much did you spend on dinner last night? If it was greater than like the $3 you could have gotten by with, you could have spent the difference curing world hunger. Same with your shoes, car, etc.

This is a very standard hypocritical view IMO.

More on Dubai via ytmnd: http://dubai.ytmnd.com/
Old 02-17-2007, 09:01 PM

Bear in mind my source is a golf commentator, but when they were playing the Dubai Desert Classic a couple of weeks ago (they paid Tiger Woods a $3M appearance fee this year, and it was a fairly loaded field aside from him) it was mentioned that Dubai is trying to reinvent itself as a tourist mecca in anticipation of UAE's oil supply drying up, which was said to be not too far in the future.

From what I've seen of the gallery over the last few years, the place seems to be loaded with white tourists, presumably Euros. It could be that UAE is way whiter than I would have guessed, but I could also see it being an attractive tourist destination for Europeans.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:04 PM

This city should finally cause the aliens to acknowledge us.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dubai is unusual in that its population comprises mainly expatriates, with UAE nationals (Emiratis) constituting the minority. The majority of these expatriates come from South Asia and South East Asia. A quarter of the population reportedly traces their origins to neighboring Iran.[3] Dubai is also home to some 100,000 British and other Western expatriates.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-17-2007, 09:06 PM

monte carlo is arguably the greatest. no taxes, the prince pays for your cable. (yeah, that's right. free cable in every house.) plus i would much prefer the french riviera to the middle eastern desert, neighboring saudi arabia and... qatar? yemen?

and maybe people on this board are jaded about vegas, but i think vegas might be the best city in the world after monte carlo. gamble. constant influx of hot girls going there to hook up and lose control. one dollar bowling at the orleans after midnight.

but apart from the real estate projects, what is so good about it? taxes, laws, demographics, propensity to party, etc.?

ps. also big shout out to turku as the other best city in the world.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:19 PM

It would be the best built city in the world. But to have a greatest city you would need to have a good community. I'd pick New York.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:20 PM

OP,

There was a Discovery or National Geographic or something special on the building of those island resorts. It was pretty amazing.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
building a bunch of cool things in the desert doesn't make a great city

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, from what I've heard from people who have been there is that there's a ton of cool things in the desert, but that the city is fairly dull and soulless. It's like Vegas but nobody is having any fun at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having been to both, i can say Dubai compares in many ways to Vegas. It's a cool and fun place to be, but the whole country revolves around money, and there's a huge amount of people humping crappy jobs for very little money to bring you your experience. There's also a ton of hookers everywhere.

I'd say its a fairly depressing place to live for a long period of time.