Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 12:26 PM

Default Re: LASIK: Trip Report

If you dont mind me asking, how much did this cost you?
Old 02-10-2006, 12:27 PM

How much does this cost?
Old 02-10-2006, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well yesterday I got LASIK on my -6.00 eyes (20/800). The procedure was with the TLC Laser Eye Center with the same Doctor that did Tiger Woods. Overall the procedure took maybe 5-10 minutes total. Sit Down, get zapped and walk out.

To me, the procedure is very disturbing. I hate surgery so for me it might be worse than others. I wasnt prepared for the smell of the cornea burning from the laser. Its also somewhat disturbing while they paint your cornea flap back down over your eye.

The 2-3 hours after the surgery are the worst. I took 2 Tylenol PM and some Motrin but it still felt like a cheese grater went across my eye. I feel asleep when I got home and awoke a few hours later feeling a lot better.

This morning I was able to drive to my Post operation appointment fine. Still a little blurryness with lights and words up close, but other than that I can see pretty well. Overall I am happy its over with. The best part about it was today is the first day of my life I was able to see the alarm clock when I woke up.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW!

I was just going to type my report up from my LASIK yesterday.

Same experience as you basically. I didnt take anything for the discomfort yesterday, just went home and went to bed. The procedure was quick, and while I didnt feel any 'pain', i definitely felt discomfort especially the second eye. apparently your endorphins adjust to the procedure and the second eye feels the procedure more. didnt notice anything else (burning smell etc) really.

For some reason my left eye bled a lot (relatively speaking) and it was a little freaky seeing this little brush dabbing up my blood.

my vision today is perfect. only complaint is the awful taste i get in my mouth from the 4x daily medicated eye drops. awful, awful taste.

total cost, $5,200
Old 02-10-2006, 12:32 PM

$3700. Worth every cent.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:33 PM

Damn F that, im fine with my glasses.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:54 PM

It should be noted that is you work for a job that offers flexible medical savings accounts, you can pay for the procedure using pre-tax money. My procedure was $5000, but only ~$3500 of that will be passed on to me.

Also, if you go to the right doctor, they usually cover the cost of enhancements for the rest of your life.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have EXTREME eye issues. I can't bear anything coming close to my eyes. Putting in Eye drops even is a living nightmare for me. Do you guys think there is any hope in hell that I could sit through this surgery without freaking out Total Recall style?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same issues, and I had it done a year ago this month (also at TLC, 3300 with the insurance discount). I took the valium, which didn't help much, as I was still freaking out, but the actual surgery only lasts 10-15 minutes or so, so I just kind of had to bite the bullet and grind it out. It sucked big time, but I'm still glad I did it, as I (hopefully) never have to wear glasses again.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm curious why you found it so disturbing. Did you take the offered Valium? Did he use the laser to cut the flap or use the micro-keratome (for the rest of OOT, there are two ways of cutting a corneal flap; one uses a laser and the other uses a blade)?

I just had my one-week checkup and all seems to be well, aside from a little bit of dryness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not take the valium. I had an empty stomach since it was 9 AM and figured I wouldnt have handled the meds well. He used the micro-keratome to cut the blade. I was perfectly still but I think he likes the blade better than the lazer.

Total Cost was $5000. I got $500 because my dad went there. Used my companies flexible spending account to pay for it saving $1500 for a total of $3500 in the end.

The drops do taste awful. The Vigamox (antibiotic) and the Econopred(Steroid) taste awful and crust on your eye lashes.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:02 PM

curve-

i cant wait for these drops to run out. i went out and bought some hard candy to alleviate the taste.

were you instructed to wear those silly eye shields in the shower?
Old 02-10-2006, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn F that, im fine with my glasses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something about glasses I find very sexy