Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Suburban Cops

djj / Randle,

Discretionary enforcement leads to far worse problems. Be careful what you ask for.

J
Old 02-10-2006, 05:02 PM

I agree it's dumb to get an infraction for drinking when you are 2 weeks shy of 21. But if cops let people get away with that, where are they supposed to draw the line?

It's basically a matter of not getting busted. If you're under 21, driving with any alcohol in your system is a horrible idea from a logical standpoint.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're under 21, driving with any alcohol in your system is a horrible idea from a logical standpoint.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't driving, he was at a friends apartment.The police were there for another reason and saw that there was alcohol out, so they asked him if he had anything to drink.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Discretionary enforcement leads to far worse problems. Be careful what you ask for.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was kind of my point. I disagreed with the discretionary law enforcement. I would not have had much of a problem with the cops if they had pursued legal action against the woman that hit my sister.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're under 21, driving with any alcohol in your system is a horrible idea from a logical standpoint.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't driving, he was at a friends apartment.The police were there for another reason and saw that there was alcohol out, so they asked him if he had anything to drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive my misunderstanding. So.... why were the police there?
Old 02-10-2006, 11:15 PM

I would say yours are worse than mine, but this type of stuff is typical and not surprising in the least. I think of the people in my high school who ended up as suburban cops and it makes sense.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Forgive my misunderstanding. So.... why were the police there?

[/ QUOTE ]

The ex-boyfriend of the owner of the apartment showed up really drunk and tried to hit a girl. The neighbors saw it happen and called the police. By the time the police showed up the ex was gone and my friend was still there with the girl.I guess they decided that they didn't want their trip to be a waste of time so they cited my friend for underage drinking.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The ticket was technically for speeding 5 mph above the the limit. My mom insists that she wasn't going over the speed limit at all and in fact the cop didn't actually tell her she was speeding.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the odds of someone driving more than five miles faster than a police officer but still driving within the speed limit? Not very high.

P.S. You mom insisted she wasn't going over the speed limit? I'm sure that will be good enough for the judge. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

P.S.S. I dealt with enough smartass, spoiled kids from Worthington when I was teaching at OSU to believe that the cops there probably have enough to keep their hands full.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:41 PM

On campus once I was late to class and running to a building, there was no traffic at all on the roads since it was real early in the morning. A cop was parked and told me to stop when I crossed. He said I was Jay-walking and that I am being given a ticket. I told him he was crazy and ran into the building, I cut through the building out the back to my actual building I had to go to. I don't know if he was gonna follow me but I wasn't gonna look back to find out.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the odds of someone driving more than five miles faster than a police officer but still driving within the speed limit? Not very high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty high when the cop is going five below the speed limit.

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. You mom insisted she wasn't going over the speed limit? I'm sure that will be good enough for the judge.

[/ QUOTE ]

She didn't contest it so I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here.

[ QUOTE ]
P.S.S. I dealt with enough smartass, spoiled kids from Worthington when I was teaching at OSU to believe that the cops there probably have enough to keep their hands full.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I have to say to this is I'm glad you're no longer teaching at OSU. Thanks for the input buddy.