Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: the well: colson10 (2.13.07)

Can you give us a simple 3000 word summary of your basic PLO strategy considering you are a Grand Master?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:08 AM

You used to play online tourneys all the time, now you very rarely play them. Is it difficult to treat a 100-200 entry tournament serious now? What are the biggest changes you've noticed between online mtt's and the big live ones. Obviously the blind structures (especially in most of the 10k buyins) are much slower live, were u immediately comfortable playing this deeper stack kind of poker, if so do u have a background in games outside of online mttt's? if not, what have u done to became a better deepstack player.

If a guy flips over ak in the first hand of a 10K event, do u call w/ 22? qq? Does it matter if its the main event or a different 10k buyin?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:13 AM

You are on the final table bubble of an EPT event.

A very tight player (some might say he's a rock) pushes all in on the button for 95% of your chips. (You both have below average chips).

You find AJ.

Easy fold, right?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are on the final table bubble of an EPT event.

A very loose player (some might say he's a maniac ) pushes all in on the button for 95% of your chips. (You both have below average chips).

You find AJ. guess hes probably got a low pair and decide that you need to call a coinflip if you are going to win the event?
Easy call, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 02-13-2007, 12:16 PM

Why do you own me every pot we play? On a more serious note I'd love to hear your thought process on the hand you call down Schaefer with K-hi heads up in the EPT. I'm sure you've run through this before but I haven't seen it. I remember seeing that hand on TV when I was still a fairly inexperienced player and being absolutely blown away (and even now it's still sick).
Old 02-13-2007, 12:47 PM

What do you think distinguishes you from the average, good, winning MTT player? Distinguish between live and online to the extent possible.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, cool. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

May as well get it over with.. who are you, what is your poker history, what are your greatest accomplishments, what/how much are you playing now?

And one of my own.. why did you choose MTTs over all other forms of poker? And how do you deal with the variance?

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant to write something general about my background before this thing started, but I'm lazy.

I started playing poker early in college (I'm 24 now, almost 25, I started playing for fun when I was 18). I always took poker pretty seriously but wasn't making anything significant until the very end of college, which made it easy to finish it out. I graduated with a BS in Biology. When I graduated I had about 15k and decided to take a shot at poker. At this time I had just moved up to 15-30 LHE with 10-20 SH being my main game. I had killed since I sort of "figured it out" around 4 months before I graduated.

With 15k I doubled my bankroll playing my regular cash games in a month and a half of being a "pro" before going to France for a tournament that I won seat for on pokerstars. I went with my friend Brandon Schaefer. He won and I came in second. It was an experience that I feel silly trying to sum up in a couple sentences. It was so crazy that afterwards we had a day in Paris and all I wanted was to get home to make sure it had really happened, that it wasn't a dream. We actually chopped the tournament when we were heads up with even stacks for 140k a piece. I have a trip report written up but don't have the link on this computer. Maybe someone else does.

After that I was hooked on tournaments. I had played them a little bit before. I had a couple decent online tournament wins, but mainly used them as motivation to play cash games. I've never been one to put in a ton of hours.

Ugghhh, I’m getting bored of writing this lol. Basically I played only tournaments for over a year and started playing cash games seriously again around 6 months ago. I play 5-10 and 10-20 NL. And while many people will call me a tourney donk I’ve been fairly successful at those limits. I still have the problem of not playing all that much though. I don’t have a ton of motivation these days, but I have a mortgage payment now and that helps I guess.

I’ve played a bunch of the big live tournaments and have had some success. Here’s my hendon mob page; http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...=r&n=39856
Old 02-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Oh, and I missed that last part about handling the variance involved with MTTs. I guess it's sort of strange, but the variance has never bothered me with tournaments. I'm still not ok with the variance in cash games, but with tournaments I can go 30 without cashing and be totally fine with it. I'm not sure why that is. I guess thinking about it right now it might have to do with the fact that I rarely look at how I've been doing. I log every MTT I play but I don't add up how much money I'm up or down from them that often.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Top 3 choices for living anywhere in the world - and why?

Also, how does KK not win vs Schaefer's AQ. What a luckbox, etc

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Seattle, because I have too many good friends there along with my family. Plus it's a beautiful and vibrant city.

2. London. I haven't spent much time there but hope to soon. Seemed like a fantastic city though when I was there, though I think the fact that I had been in Spain for a month made going to a English speaking country that much more satisfying.

3. If I spoke Spanish it's probably Barcelona in the 3 spot. As is, maybe Vienna, maybe Melbourne. Rio should probably be up there too, but I was there when I was 17 and all I did was play soccer on the beach. Jesus christ that was fun.

Yeah seriously, Schaefer is the biggest luckbox of all. He just happily ships all his chips in the pot with AQ obviously knowing an ace is coming.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
carl, I'm interested in your top 5 list of your live poker tourney experiences.

[/ QUOTE ]

and you thoughts on cash side games during them [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]