Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 12:07 AM

Default Re: QTs - dubious preflop call, but standard call bluff?

I like your play if it was at UB. Lately I'm seeing some serious weak tightness creep into the games which makes plays like these work very well. I also like your read. It looks an awful lot like JJ-KK. I don't know how the FT 25NL games are though. It may take a third barrel [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2007, 12:09 AM

.. on a 6th street [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2007, 01:45 AM

I don't think this play is going to win the pot here often enough. You are probably going to have to fire at it again on the river if you want to take it down.
I've tried this a couple times, and it never seems to work. If you had a read that villian was weak/tight then I would like it alot better.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Marginal EV+ spots are better to avoid due to two reasons:
1) limited bankroll;
2) emotional tendencies of human beings to tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) If so, quit playing with a limited bankroll, if you can't afford to bluff once in awhile and you're going to play scared then move down.
2)Learning to deal with your emotions is part of becoming a better player, if you tilt easily, identify it and quit playing when it happens.

+EV is +EV!!

I like this move, I would have liked a raise on the flop aswell, and it saves you a bit of money if he folds jj-kk at that point. I agree villain is weak here, but what kind of weak? A small ace is doubtful, but possible, and jj-kk looks most likely, I agree with EMc, this isn't great to do all the time, but against the right opponent its a great play and it is certainly a learning experience! How'd it turn out?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:14 AM

I don't like your preflop raise unless this is a really tight table and you can actually take the pot down from there, because everyone thinks you've got AA. But on such a table you certainly shouldn't go on with this hand when someone calls.
I don't like the flop call just as much. You have position on villain so it's probably ok.

His turn bet is actually smaller than his flop bet. This really looks like a scared bet unless he is leveling you. There is little he could try to price himself in for. Maybe a gutshot straight draw. So I like the raise. It's too small though, considering the pot size. I'd make it 10 or 11. If he calls, give it up. He has a PP or A5s or something, is scared, but still can't let it go. Deadly combination, but you still don't have the best of him.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Marginal EV+ spots are better to avoid at uNL due to one reason:
1) You'll find better spots to get your money in at 25NL

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-13-2007, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Marginal EV+ spots are better to avoid at uNL due to one reason:
1) You'll find better spots to get your money in at 25NL

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

plz tell me why you cant take marginal spots and these better spots as well? i think learning to deal w/ the variance associated w/ marginal spots is vital now b/c at higher stakes you'll be forced to take them whether you want to or not.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:04 AM

It's just a matter of taste and a matter of personal style and a matter of experience to identify these spots. It's nothing that makes the play wrong or right.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:43 AM

I think how good this move is depends on how you are thinking. I'll explain in a sec.

First preflop raise is debatable but no doubt you had your reasons.

On the flop, if you are putting him on KK-JJ at that point and not Ax it's a great idea to float with position, outs and bluffing outs (diamonds). I'm not sure how 25nl plays these days, but I don't think I would make this standard without a read on the player that he can fold.

If on the other hand you are thinking 'this could be a cbet and i have a pair and position, I'll call', that would be too loose.

Agree with the turn raise. We obviously want to make it as small as possible while still getting reasonable fold equity. He's got to call $6/26 - that makes it a tough fold. So raising maybe to $10 (8/30) would be better (although there's not a lot in it % wise).
Old 02-13-2007, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) If so, quit playing with a limited bankroll, if you can't afford to bluff once in awhile and you're going to play scared then move down.
2)Learning to deal with your emotions is part of becoming a better player, if you tilt easily, identify it and quit playing when it happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) You think that a hundred roll dice can not roll <45 twenty or forty times in a row?
2) Just please.. there are already enough opportunities at micro NL to "deal with my emotions".