Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Jim Cramer, Action Alert Plus

[ QUOTE ]
What all is included in the Action Alerts Plus product? Is it simply a heads up on which stocks Jim Cramer will be putting in his portfolio, or is there some good reasoning and content included as well? Does it frequently give you a heads up on what will be featured on his TV show? That alone would easily be worth it with the amount of people that follow him, so I doubt thats the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the trades he actually makes for his own portfolio... including the thinking process, and a watch list.... and other commentary.

Cramer is limited in his trading of stocks that have been discussed on his radio and TV shows... I believe that he can't buy or sell a stock that he mentions to the public for 5 days.

He does mention in AAP, stocks that he would trade if he wasn't restricted [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2006, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He does mention in AAP, stocks that he would trade if he wasn't restricted

[/ QUOTE ]

IE- what might come up on his shows? Pretty cool if that's the case. I also like that his reasoning is included and not just his portfolio.

Just started reading his older book "confessions of a street addict" and it's real enjoyable so far.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:33 PM

Anything that comes out in the action alert plus, you can find out by reading the Mad Money transcripts, message boards, etc. Save you $200+/year.

I am not a Cramer hater as alot of people here, but he is way to short sighted for my investing objectives. As bullish as he was during the dot.com boom, he was one of the first and most bearish when things started to turn quickly changing his tune (which is admirable).

For the past couple of years though, he has been average at best.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:53 PM

Mr. Now,

I liked your post too! Still, some of your comment seem to indicate that you have not read Cramer's book. While he may be capitalizing on the current trends of investors, to his credit, Cramer focuses on homework and fundamentals as the backbone of investing. In fact, he publically says that most investors are better off just investing in index funds because they don't have the time or interest to work hard at investing. Cramer's entertaining style is more than just a gag for ratings. According to his book, he believes that one of the most important things he can do for investors is "keep them in the game." By making investing entertaining, he gets people to put in the work. However, his book also covers options, shorts, and other speculative investing. I've heard Cramer say that the reason he doesn't endorse shorts on his show is because of the touble people can get into with them. He says that while a long can only go to zero, a short could (in theory) go up for ever. This could criple anyone who listens to only his "soundbytes" despite his warnings to do their own homework. So, in spite of the obvious drawbacks to a 1 hour investing show, Cramer seems to realize some of its problems and tries to compensate by making his advice more conservative on air.

Now, all this being said, as an amateur, I didn't much care for the book. I found it to be somewhat disorganized and lacked a comprehensive apporach to stock picking. I like Peter Lynch's books much better.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:38 PM

Company?

I thought you're a doctor.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, all this being said, as an amateur, I didn't much care for the book. I found it to be somewhat disorganized and lacked a comprehensive apporach to stock picking. I like Peter Lynch's books much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which of Cramer's books are you basing this comment on?
Old 02-11-2006, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anything that comes out in the action alert plus, you can find out by reading the Mad Money transcripts, message boards, etc. Save you $200+/year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this based on your personal experience with using AAP???

Even if all you got were stocks before they were mentioned on his show, that would clearly be worth $200... I believe you are getting much more than that from AAP though!
Old 02-11-2006, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this based on your personal experience with using AAP???

Even if all you got were stocks before they were mentioned on his show, that would clearly be worth $200... I believe you are getting much more than that from AAP though!

[/ QUOTE ]

I ended up getting the free trial then 2 months. It was ok, but find subscribing to WSJ/Barron's and/or IBD more for my money.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not a Cramer hater as alot of people here, but he is way to short sighted for my investing objectives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually his AAP is longer term, most holdings are at least 6 months. I joined a while back, before his show was hot. I enjoyed it greatly, but bought a house and didn't have $ to invest anymore. I found the advice very solid and long term based.

I now have money, but didn't re-join. The reason is that I think his Mad Money takes away from AAP. He has too many restrictions now and I don't think it allows him to maximize his returns (and yours).
Old 02-15-2006, 07:19 PM

It's amazing that people still listen to this guy. For some comedy, check out Cramer's top picks for the year 2000.

http://www.thestreet.com/funds/smarter/891820.html