Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Help with LIMIT Omaha 10/20

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and mentally prepare yourself for the miriad of suckouts that you'll fall victem to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget this crap. LIimit omaha's most profitable hands=sucking out and making the nut in a multiway pot~~~ (which you raised on flop and turn as money favorite)

Look to suckout! it makes you feel MIGHTY GOOD YO

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know if I'm being leveled or not but ...

All I'm saying is be prepared for other players to suck out on you quite a bit and don't let it effect your play.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:10 AM

we have this discussion every so often, someone asks for pointers on playing limit Omaha and gets advice from people who never play it. Something that isn't mentioned a lot is making big folds on the river. I expect this is a big part of the game, especially live where players will be less aggressive. I think this would be the toughest part of the game for me, I don't like to fold decent hands getting a huge price.

It's not a problem for me in limit hold'em because it's never correct to fold in a big pot anyway, and it's not so big a problem in o8 because I can usually hope the guy was going for the other half of the pot. But in limit Omaha high I expect I'd struggle with it.

Comments?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Here\'s the thing about that

And why I think it's costing me money, as least in the short run.

I can't lay down 2nd nut on the river (for example) where there's 15 BBs in the pot. There is too much chance that the donk that's betting into me doesn't have it, and there's too much in the pot to let it go. (I would have to win that pot worse than 1 in 16 times for me to let that go.)

Do you really think it's more like PLO than LH? Do you really think this is a lay, 2nd nut on the riv in limit omaha?

The solution, I think, is to not start with hands that lead you to have a second nut. But it's hard not to play a hand like 6789 in this crowd that is made on the flop or turn and then gets away from you.

Ideas?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we have this discussion every so often, someone asks for pointers on playing limit Omaha and gets advice from people who never play it. Something that isn't mentioned a lot is making big folds on the river. I expect this is a big part of the game, especially live where players will be less aggressive. I think this would be the toughest part of the game for me, I don't like to fold decent hands getting a huge price.

It's not a problem for me in limit hold'em because it's never correct to fold in a big pot anyway, and it's not so big a problem in o8 because I can usually hope the guy was going for the other half of the pot. But in limit Omaha high I expect I'd struggle with it.

Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually play live limit Omaha HI more than PLO, although if I didn't it wouldn't stop me from posting.

I think limit holdem and Omaha Hi thought processes are quite similar on the river. Say you have top set which is the nuts on the turn. You bet and are called by one player and there is a both a straight and a flush draw. This player is capable of bluffing. So on the river if one of those draws gets there and the villain bets out, if you are getting 1 in 6 odds to call, this is an automatic call. The same thing exists in limit holdem or razz or really any limit game. On the end as long as the pot is big enough and you know that your opponent is capable of bluffing or betting a hand that you can beat x% of the time, you pretty much have an autocall situation. I just don't see the difference.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Here\'s the thing about that

[ QUOTE ]

Do you really think it's more like PLO than LH? Do you really think this is a lay, 2nd nut on the riv in limit omaha?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know because I haven't really played it, but I bet you can find the players who are never value betting less or bluffing, and save a lot of bets, even when you have to be right only one in ten.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:32 PM

I think in the course of playing with these "horrible" players he should pretty much know who to call on the river, e.g. the guy who thinks a flush is always bettable on a paired board. Calling two bets on the river with a non-nut hand is almost always going to be wrong, even against bad players.

Many situation with seven going to the flop will create pot odds favorable for you to peel the flop with a hand like top two looking to turn a fullhouse, but again part of the skill in this game is going to be realizing when marginal draws (two pair UI is almost never going to win) aren't worth chasing due to the pot odds or the betting action.

For instance say you hold AAJ10 with one suited ace you raise and get six callers and the flop comes 895 with a flush draw you don't have. If its bet and raised before it gets to you the you should just fold. Sure even though you have 6 outs to the nuts, and you technically have the odds to draw for twenty dollars, you should always fold in this spot. First of all a potential made straight is already out there, so this might get capped behind you. Secondly, lets say you hit a perfect card on the turn, if the river brings any offsuit 7, any board pairing, flush card, Jack or Ten it your hand turns to crap, since there is no way to price out draws on the turn and there is probably still going to be five callers in there with all them. Somebody will also frequently make the same straight as you, and if you don't have at least one nut redraw your in a pretty weak spot Equity-wise. On this flop the same logic applies for a hands like AA88 no redraws and 10 8 7 5.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:34 PM

My point is pretty much be very wary of reverse implied odd situations where you feel forced to put in chips all the way to the river in a precarious spot.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...Say you have top set which is the nuts on the turn. You bet and are called by one player and there is a both a straight and a flush draw. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

One caller only!? Bah--there are 5 callers, at least.

Now if 6 people see the river and it makes a back door gut-shut wheel and your getting 27.25:1 to call with #2...well that I think is the kind of thing he's getting at.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The solution, I think, is to not start with hands that lead you to have a second nut. But it's hard not to play a hand like 6789 in this crowd that is made on the flop or turn and then gets away from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot of good points in this thread. I think this is probably the best one. 6789 is much more a PLO hand than LOH.

In ultra loose LOH, the game swings on the back door draw and it's almost always there. Having the nuts on the flop is almost a disadvantage.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know because I haven't really played it, but I bet you can find the players who are never value betting less or bluffing, and save a lot of bets, even when you have to be right only one in ten.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit the only times I played limit omaha hi is in rotation games... but in my experience, if you betted a flush on turn and board pairs on river and the guy bets, fold is almost always right... I might call if it's KQ72 and the 2 paired on river and there is a good chance he's holding KQ... but almost always I am looking at a boat especially in a near full game.

This is very different from HE because well... your opponent got 4 cards now